metal track shortening

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
ARIA53
Recruit

metal track shortening

Post by ARIA53 »

Hi guy's, ive been given 7 tank's recently and two of them with metal track's (panzer3 heng long/panzer 4 taigen) that have way too much slack, the 3 threw a track first run, theres about 15mm between the bogie wheel in the centre of the tank and the inside surface of the track when hanging (held off the ground)
I have no idea how to shorten can anyone help advise ? thank's,Graham, I would post pics but can't do it straight from my laptop !!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: metal track shortening

Post by Max-U52 »

If the tank doesn't have a tensioning device pretty much your only option is to remove a link.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

But make sure they're not too tight. What surface were you running on?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Like Max said BUT as soon as you can you should fit track tensioners,
Not too expensive and not too difficult to fit,
It should be the first upgrade on a Panzer 111/4 in my opinion.
Instructions on Removing a track pin to separate a track and remove a link can be found in the "TIPS & TRICKS" section of the Forum.(Halfway down Subpage 9)
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

By the by, The Panzer111/4 are quite tolerant of slack tracks which makes me wonder if the idler/ sprocket or wheels are out of alignment ?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
ARIA53
Recruit

Post by ARIA53 »

Thanks, I will check out your suggestion's, I won't be keeping them but one's going to a friend's son for birthday and the other for sale so want them half decent ! I was running on tarmac by the way.

Return to “General Questions”