Leopard 2a6 weathering suggestions

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
percy1510
Corporal

Leopard 2a6 weathering suggestions

Post by percy1510 »

Hi all
I have a heng long leopard with the 3 colour nato green/brown/black cammo

I normally airbrush my tanks but the cammo on this model is pretty good so was thinking of just applying a bit of weathering. My question is can anybody suggest a good wash colour to add to this model to age it a bit
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Re: Leopard 2a6 weathering suggestions

Post by Jay-Em »

Dark grey wash and after that dry brushing with revell Matt 89 ( desert sand). The dark grey ùnder the desert sand drybrushing preserves the details, and the desert sand dampens the -for my taste- far too distinct camo colours on the Leo.

They only looked like the straight-from-the-box Heng Long when freshly washed and still a bit wet.
( when in the service, visiting the cavalry at Amerfoort ( now defunct, sadly) was a weekly thing. Seen plenty of Leo’s in varying states of cleanliness or dirt)

^ That’s the look, even if I overdid the wash a bit...
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Nice female crew. :-)
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

Marco Peter wrote:Nice female crew. :-)
Thnx

Op dit moment zijn er een paar vrouwlijke tank-crews op de van Duitsland geleasde Leo’s.

At the moment, the tanks The Netherlands leased from Germany dó have a few female crews. So, not too far-fetched as such.
Vèry expensive SOL-figures, though.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

That looks just great, Jay, and the weathering is just right. She's been out long enough to get a bit dusty, but it's easy to see the girls take good care of her. What I really want to see is video of the girls washing it when they're done. Bwahahahaha @) @) :O ;)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

Thanks for the tip Jay

Love the way your leopards cammo is mich more muted. Definately the look that I would like to achieve

Thanks
Glyn
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

percy1510 wrote:Thanks for the tip Jay

Love the way your leopards cammo is mich more muted. Definately the look that I would like to achieve

Thanks
Glyn
You’re welcome!

Extra tricks ( if You’re up to it) : first spray the tank in gloss varnish. Sounds weird, but here the trick comes : A wash flows far more freely in the panel lines and such, leading to nice, sharp details, when the base layer is glossy and slick. After that just cover it with a layer of alclad matt varnish, sprayed at about 1.5 bar with a 0.5 mm tip. And àfter that add the desert sand drybrushing.

On the other hand, if You want to have the wash behave more subtle and smooth, apply it on a matt base coat. The second picture, lower right of it, shows nicely what kind of blending can be reached when carefully tracing panels with a wash and then dry brush it. The more paint thinner You use in the wash, the better it will blend with the base layer.

Let dry thoroughly, otherwise You’ll rub the wash away too much during drybrushing.

I hope these tips are useful.
jstevens
Private

Post by jstevens »

I have experimented with several different methods with mine and I think it came out ok but are you ever completely happy at the final result!
Attachments
DSC_2692.JPG
DSC_2677.JPG
DSC_2687.JPG
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Looks good. I like the netting around the barrel.

Return to “General Questions”