Rule no 8

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Rule no 8

Post by ronnie42 »

Tank of the month , why is rule 8 allowed . Each year the builds are getting fewer and the detail on Taigen improves. I am only interested in building, well a more accurate description would be little ongoing upgrades so the tank is never finished. To encourage builds just have one rule , post up the build. Will come a day when you can buy the TOTM award. Another question , its RC so pics of the interior, wiring layout, etc to show its not a static model.
pitstain
Corporal

Re: Rule no 8

Post by pitstain »

Hate to nitpick Ronnie.

8. Models can be built, and/or painted by third, even fourth etc parties. However, in the spirit of the competition, please give credit to those parties.

All users are following rule #8 as far as I can tell, since the workers at the Heng Long, Taigen, etc. factories can be counted as a third party/fourth party, and users clearly state they started with a Heng Long or Taigen RTR, hence giving the correct credit to those aspects of the building.

I do agree, doesn't matter to me what is inside really, but some people are proud to show off their full features.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Hi pitstian Have a look at some of the old builds and compare them to todays builds . Rule 8 must have been set up to encourage people to enter , but why not encourage builders to show what they can manage. I would rather see that than someone farming out the build or the painting to give them an advantage. :O
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello there Mr ronnie42.

Re interior photos, I guess we could insist on that point, but as this is an RC forum, it was always assumed that submitters would more than likely submit an RC vehicle, especially as they would be members here to begin with. Also a lot of the models we see usually have build threads.

As for having a third party do any work towards the build, sometimes modellers have items made for them that they couldn't otherwise produce themselves by those that can, like those that have 3D printers.

As for submitting models into the TOTM that someone else painted, those models are hardly built and painted specifically for the TOTM competition, some are years old, the competition is just another way to show off what you have. It was felt that it should be a common courtesy to give credit to those that deserve it.
Lastly, not everyone can paint, or has the confidence to paint, some people even purchase models already built and painted. Therefore by allowing the models owners to submit their pride and joy, no matter who built or painted it, means that the TOTM is open to a larger amount of members with less rules over restrictions to what can and can't be submitted, plus it is far easier to police.

One only has to look through the winners gallery to see it really isn't an advantage, I believe some voters actually vote for the individuals efforts when making their choice.

Edit for a PS, sadly not everyone sees things in the same way, and over the time the TOTM has been running, this rule seems to have been accepted. When I took over the TOTM, I was in the mind of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," plus I didn't want to over complicate the issue with lots of rule changes or extra rules. I just looked at how the TOTM had been run by my predecessors with what they did and didn't allow, then wrote out the rules with added explanations.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

No problem with doing you own 3D printing , a lot of work making sure the printer does what required. Old builds filling up TOTM says a lot :O
When TOTM was set up i recon it was to see who could do the best builds on 1st generation HL .
Last edited by ronnie42 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trora
Corporal

Post by Trora »

Have a question

I lost a lot of my building pics with a computer crash , so is it possible to put a model in ? I can make pics from the elo and rc parts new to show you

Gr Ralf
Would like to go home
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

ronnie42 wrote:No problem with doing you own 3D printing , a lot of work making sure the printer does what required. Old builds filling up TOTM says a lot :O
No, sorry, I meant some people have others doing the 3D printing for them.
And I never stated old builds are filling up the TOTM. Just some are old, not everyone who joins here are beginners, some already have builds they have done before they join. And hat's off to them for wanting to share their past work in the TOTM.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Trora You said some of you builds are 10 years old, i would imagine that a lot of work went into them :clap: Show your models off :D
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

ronnie42 wrote:Trora You said some of you builds are 10 years old, i would imagine that a lot of work went into them :clap: Show your models off :D
You could always enter one of yours next month to balance out the new and old models :thumbup:

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Trora wrote:Have a question

I lost a lot of my building pics with a computer crash , so is it possible to put a model in ? I can make pics from the elo and rc parts new to show you

Gr Ralf
Sorry, I'm unsure what you mean. You do have builds with pictures here on this forum.

Return to “General Questions”