Heng long lipo compatibility ?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Heng long lipo compatibility ?

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Evening all,

Looking for a bit of info regarding the heng long setup that I've added in the pic. I'm hoping to use it in another little project I'm working on but again it has space limitations so I'm thinking of using a small lipo battery with it. I know they advise not to use lipos with these boards but I'm wondering how safe it is to actually use one, I'm going to be using a 2s lipo of either 450mah or 850mah, any advice or info would be greatly appreciated :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee. Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Heng long lipo compatibility ?

Post by c.rainford73 »

I run them in my Heng long tanks. I use a low voltage cut off alarm to prevent battery from discharging damage. Heres an old thread discussing your question.

A small 7.4 pack has never given me problems. I use the turnigy 2200mah packs

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thank you very much for the information Carl, it's a great help :D I always use a low voltage alarm with my lipos also, I was more worried about the heng long board going up in smoke :haha: :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

This setup comes with a liion battery, which call rather ridiculously a super li-ion battery. It’s 8.4 or 8.2 at full charge. So no problem there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thank you for the info RenoirLV :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
williamthedog
Private

Post by williamthedog »

I use the batteries out of my traxxas trx4 in my torro king tiger with a lva of course. Lasts for ages. :thumbup:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thanks willthedog, good to know :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

After the Towering Inferno that struck poor Christian's workshop, Lee, I'm ever more wary of using Li- Pos, despite their obvious plus points. When your collection goes beyond 15 + armoured vehicles (and the partner goes out the door...or up the wall :S :D ), it becomes difficult to keep a mental maintenance record on state of charge of batteries in them. With NIMH, the consequences of battery drain are minimal, and centainly not a recipe for an unintentional molotov cocktail. (It's best to disconnect batteries when a tank's on the shelf, or not in use, in any event).
It is possible to find compact, but sufficently powerful NiMH batteries, without recourse to the scary Li Pos.. here's a compact one I found for the Cromwell, which is spatially 'challenged' oin terms of internal real estate:
It's a 3 atop 3 stack. Same number of batteries in the pack, but in a more convenient arrangement. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

I agree with you Roy, it is a little bit of a worry but as you say the advantages are that they come in very small sizes and as of late I have been doing a couple of builds that call for this :D I keep my lipos at a storage charge until I need them and they are also kept in a sealed ammo tin that I have and I only ever charge them in the room that I am in so I can keep an eye on them. For my tanks I still use nihm batteries because the space is not at a premium and as you mentioned, they are a lot easier to look after :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

18650s Used on everything, from electric scooters to tesla cars, and all the tools that you might have at home like drills and so on.

I will never ever go back to lipos or nimhs.

https://radindustries.wordpress.com/201 ... batteries/
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/

Return to “General Questions”