Heng Long Tiger 1 non runner

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).

Postby AndyC » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:43 pm

As I mentioned over in the intro forum a few days ago I've got this 1/16 Tiger 1 to fix for a friend. As I don't know a great deal about R/C stuff I'm hoping to tap into your collective knowledge for some troubleshooting help.

From what I've seen it seem to be a basic model, no smoke or sound, and a A-B-C channel selector with no crystals.

First problem was that the controller was dead, this was due to leakage from a battery corroding one of the wires to the circuit board. I fixed that and the controller powers on - led lights up orange. However there's no response from the tank when switching it on and operating the controller. There's no instructions with this tank so the first Q is what do the 3 buttons below the on-off switch on the controller do? Operating the middle one turns the led from orange to red so presumably the transmitter circuit board is not completely dead?

Checking with my meter there is power to the receiver board in the tank when switching it on.

Where to go from here? Any troubleshooting tips gratefully received!

Andy

AndyC
Recruit

Postby silversurfer1947 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:40 pm

There are many different control boards for Heng Long tanks. If you are able, photos of the internals of the tank, particularly the receiver/control board, would be a great help. Does anything at all happen with the tank, for example, do the lights flash? It is possible that the receiver and transmitter are not bound to each other.
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant

Postby jarndice » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:12 pm

You mentioned Crystals so my question is does the word "SENDER" appear on the transmitter?
If so then the next question is are there matching crystals in the Tanks Control Board and in the Transmitter?
Analogue Tanks disappeared from Heng Longs line up some years ago being replaced by digital to the delight of many :thumbup: but replacement pairs of crystals are still readily available from http://www.forgebeartanks.com and http://www.rctank.de
jarndice
Major

Postby Jarlath » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:28 pm

OR

The difference is the spot on the right... One is to set three tanks up to be used on the same frequency different channels. Cannot change frequencies.
The 2nd one had replaceable crystals which allow for frequency swapping
Jarlath
Private

Postby AndyC » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:48 pm

silversurfer1947 wrote:There are many different control boards for Heng Long tanks. If you are able, photos of the internals of the tank, particularly the receiver/control board, would be a great help. Does anything at all happen with the tank, for example, do the lights flash? It is possible that the receiver and transmitter are not bound to each other.

Pic attached, the board is marked TK01. Nothing at all happens with the tank - no signs of life at all.
Tiger1_int.jpg
Tiger1_int.jpg (110.59 KiB) Viewed 502 times

AndyC
Recruit

Postby AndyC » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:51 pm

jarndice wrote:You mentioned Crystals so my question is does the word "SENDER" appear on the transmitter?
If so then the next question is are there matching crystals in the Tanks Control Board and in the Transmitter?
Analogue Tanks disappeared from Heng Longs line up some years ago being replaced by digital to the delight of many :thumbup: but replacement pairs of crystals are still readily available from http://www.forgebeartanks.com and http://www.rctank.de

Yes, it is 'Sender'. No crystals, just an A B C switch so I assume it's a single fixed frequency system.

AndyC
Recruit

Postby AndyC » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:53 pm

This one:

AndyC
Recruit

Postby jarndice » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:25 pm

Andy Hi,
I would give serious thought to replacing both the "SENDER" Transmitter and the control board, There is nothing to be gained retaining the system and a replacement RX18 Control Board and Transmitter changes everything into "Plug & Play.
Pre-wired JST Plugs are cheap as chips on E-Bay to replace the cables that are soldered onto the present control board.
You will then be able to plug a Smoker into the system
If you are in the UK I am sure you will be able to obtain the RX18 and Transmitter for the cost of the postage as many people have replaced them for later boards.
Go to the Electronics/Extra section of the Forum, The Heng Long sector has wiring diagrams and a wealth of helpful tips on the RX18 MFU.
jarndice
Major

Postby jarndice » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:36 pm

An alternative to the Heng Long RX18 is Taigens V3 Control board which is the same size as the RX18 but offers more options including a sound module,
It is fully digital and unlike the RX18 it can be used with an aftermarket transmitter as well as Taigens own Transmitter,
About £ 70/£80 for a full kit from www.forgebeartanks.com or www.rctank.de
Both are reputable dealers and very helpful.
jarndice
Major

Postby AndyC » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:40 pm

jarndice wrote:Andy Hi,
I would give serious thought to replacing both the "SENDER" Transmitter and the control board, There is nothing to be gained retaining the system and a replacement RX18 Control Board and Transmitter changes everything into "Plug & Play.
Pre-wired JST Plugs are cheap as chips on E-Bay to replace the cables that are soldered onto the present control board.
You will then be able to plug a Smoker into the system
If you are in the UK I am sure you will be able to obtain the RX18 and Transmitter for the cost of the postage as many people have replaced them for later boards.
Go to the Electronics/Extra section of the Forum, The Heng Long sector has wiring diagrams and a wealth of helpful tips on the RX18 MFU.

Well I guess that's an option. TBH my friend doesn't want to spend a lot on the tank.
Anyone on here got the bits needed? I'm in the UK, Oxfordshire.

AndyC
Recruit

Postby AndyC » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:42 pm

jarndice wrote:An alternative to the Heng Long RX18 is Taigens V3 Control board which is the same size as the RX18 but offers more options including a sound module,
It is fully digital and unlike the RX18 it can be used with an aftermarket transmitter as well as Taigens own Transmitter,
About £ 70/£80 for a full kit from http://www.forgebeartanks.com or http://www.rctank.de
Both are reputable dealers and very helpful.

Spending that sort of money isn't an option unfortunately.

AndyC
Recruit

Postby forgebear » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:20 pm

try here
link https://howesmodels.co.uk/

there in kidlington they may have a broken tiger or parts they may sell you
dave
forgebear
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby AndyC » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:26 am

forgebear wrote:try here
link https://howesmodels.co.uk/

there in kidlington they may have a broken tiger or parts they may sell you
dave

Thanks, I'll be in Kidlington today so I'll go and see them.

AndyC
Recruit

Postby AndyC » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:55 pm

Howes can't help, nothing available.

Anyone on here upgraded and want to sell their old bits?

AndyC
Recruit

Postby AndyC » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:37 pm

So, just coming back to this - I need a Heng Long 27MHz RX18 MFU and wiring kit + 27MHz receiver board + 27MHz tranmitter - is that right? Any pointers on where to get for not much money!

AndyC
Recruit

Postby General Jumbo01 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:20 pm

May l recommend you use your old nonworking Tiger1 as a target and purchase the very latest version 6 Henglong Tiger 1 off eBay from a UK seller for under £90 with free delivery. FAR better model. FAR better value. Just add 6 aa batteries and you are away, trouble free with all the latest features. You know it makes sense!
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant

Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Postby silversurfer1947 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:27 pm

General Jumbo01 wrote:May l recommend you use your old nonworking Tiger1 as a target and purchase the very latest version 6 Henglong Tiger 1 off eBay from a UK seller for under £90 with free delivery. FAR better model. FAR better value. Just add 6 aa batteries and you are away, trouble free with all the latest features. You know it makes sense!

If you go back to Andy's first post, you will see why he is following the path that he is. It's not his tank
silversurfer1947
2nd Lieutenant

Postby AndyC » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:28 pm

General Jumbo01 wrote:May l recommend you use your old nonworking Tiger1 as a target and purchase the very latest version 6 Henglong Tiger 1 of eBay from a UK seller for under £90 with free delivery. FAR better model. FAR better value. Just add 6 aa batteries and you are away, trouble free with all the latest features. You know it makes sense!

Well that's an idea, certainly. However I'm a lifetime 'fixer' and just enjoy bringing non-working things back to life, and learning stuff along the way.

AndyC
Recruit

Postby General Jumbo01 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:30 pm

I know. He should do his freind a favour and explain the meaning of the phrase 'false economy'. It will still make a reasonable static model.

Edit:. Andy, it's so old and crude by modern standards, is it really worth your efforts? If you mate likes the idea of owning a RC tank then grab one while there is still stock in the country, they appear to have come back in last weekend. Of course, that's just my opinion.
General Jumbo01
Staff Sergeant

Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Postby jarndice » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:55 am

I think if Andy's pal buys a new Tiger 1 for £90+ and finds out the attractions of RC Tanking are not what we say they are he is going to be out of pocket to the tune of £90+ and just maybe no longer Andy's pal :thumbdown:
Whereas if Andy 's plea for someone with an unwanted Serviceable RX18, a compatible Transmitter and the necessary wiring comes forward wanting just the cost of the postage we then have a happy Andy and if his friend likes RC Tanking we all know what happens next,
Shares in Heng Long/Taigen/Tamiya increase exponentially :haha:

By the way Andy does the Secondary Board (Daughter Board) attached to the tank body have all the cables soldered in place or is the centre lower 3 pin a plug and is the upper 8pin soldered in place or a plug?
And are you ok with a soldering iron because a little soldering will be needed when rewiring the headlights the hull mg and the Turret rotation motor to the daughter board.
jarndice
Major

Next

Return to General Questions