Slipring types

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Slipring types

Post by ronnie42 »

Hi Has anyone found a slipring in pancake form, want one with with a low profile not the normal cylinder type.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Slipring types

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Something like this might make for a starting point, Ronnie; but it's not cheap. :problem:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 6f1dpys6MP
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Is there any particular reason why a Wi-Fi system cannot be devised that would transmit the signal from the Turret to the MFU without using cable?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:Is there any particular reason why a Wi-Fi system cannot be devised that would transmit the signal from the Turret to the MFU without using cable?
Power would still be needed to energise the servos, and relevant motors, Shaun. If an MFU could be incorporated into the transmitter, much of the physical wiring could be removed :think: Then again a combined elevation and recoil unit would require it's own receiver, and a power source, unless the wireless charging technology now used for smartphones and tablets could be adapted for use in model tanks... o-
But not by me :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Thanks 43rd, now that would be nice to only use 3 circuits . Need 3 for servo circuits ,2 for gun and mg , battle is another 5 cables and another circuit for any auxiliary functions .
Vertigo
Private

Post by Vertigo »

I couldn't find any suitable when i looked about a year ago. I considered making my own by etching a PCB about the same size as the turret ring.
I tried a small axial slipring but the gun breach gets in the way inside the ring.
In the end i just stayed with cables. I cut the teeth on the turret ring so i had full rotation. Put a special peg and notched disc on the back of the turret so i get about 350 degrees rotation in either direction = 700 total. Stops cable wind up and resultant damage when you loose track of how many rotations you have made.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

This can be done but it requires another battery in the turret. Skyfly does a receiver which provides several cable transmitted channels and a couple more wireless connected ones by a small second receiver. You could transmit power by painting two conductive paint stripes on the turret ring and place pickups to wipe them.

However, if you mount your slip ring centrally beneath the turret ring you won't need to worry about it sweeping around the hull and so won't need extra space.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

GJ 01 Tried that , if you fix the slipring below the turret its another problem . Move the board and battery etc , would be ok if the slipring cables were longer .
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Then extend the cables? Otherwise my first suggestion would work. I use it to power / control the legs and ramps on my tank transporter trailers with the master receiver in the tractor unit.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “General Questions”