Turret turning metal gearbox smoking

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
leopardgreece
Corporal

Turret turning metal gearbox smoking

Post by leopardgreece »

Hallo how r u today? When i connect this metal turret turning gearbox to this tank Heng Long RX18 board 7,2 Volt ...it works .The gears turns alright but ....white smoke come out of this little orange resistance when the motor turns. Why that happens ....? ? ? ImageImage

???????? ??? ?? SM-P605 ??? ??????????????? Tapatalk
Sub
Sergeant

Re: Turret turning metal gearbox smoking

Post by Sub »

Hi.
Its because the orange thing is a ceramic capacitor to reduce electrical interferrence from the brushes on the electric motor soldered accross both terminals.
However this one has not been installed correctly as both of the metal legs should have been shielded to prevent them touching any metal and shorting the capacitor out creating heat and burning out the capacitor, probably touched the metal motor can and shorted.
It is probably a 103k ceramic capacitor very cheap to buy and easy to fit.
You can remove this one by cutting or de soldering the legs the motor will still work if its in good order but could be a bit electrically loud without a capacitor.
Hope that helps.
Sub.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

If you still have the original plastic one the resistor on that should serve as a replacement. In theory
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
leopardgreece
Corporal

Post by leopardgreece »

Goodmorning and thank u for respond. I think that i understand. U say that this capacitor, its legs must touch the - and + poles of the motor but after that must not touch anything metal is that correct ? Thank u very very much ImageImage

leopardgreece
Corporal

Post by leopardgreece »

Also i will try to remove it and at last i have one stock motor yes ImageImageImage

Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
Yes that is correct, you can put some heat shrink tubing over the legs covering them just leaving enough leg poking out to solder onto the + and - motor terminals.
Regards.
Sub.
leopardgreece
Corporal

Post by leopardgreece »

Ok sir I understand Image thank u very much...!!!!!

???????? ??? ?? SM-N950F ??? ??????????????? Tapatalk

Return to “General Questions”