Leopard 2 rear lights

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Leopard 2 rear lights

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Here's one for the researchers (or just in the know).

On the rear of the Leopard 2 there are four large round red lamps, 2 mounted low either side of the tow hook and 2 just inside the rear light clusters (l assume the clusters are road going lights)? When are these used and what for?

Similarly, there is a yellow flashing beacon type light mouted;on a short pole above and center of the turret. When are these fitted / used? Hope someone here knows!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Leopard 2 rear lights

Post by Jimster »

From what I’ve read those lights are used during travel along public roads for safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
General Jumbo01

Possibly, but the light clusters are just like road car clusters (indeed they probably are) and include turn indicators, sidelight and brake lights so l'm guessing the brighter round red lamps (either operated as four or two pairs) are for something more. The flashing beacon only seems to appear when not in battle. However, l need to know from someone who really knows rather than is like me - guessing!
General Jumbo01

Okay, it's all already been d alt with right here in 2015! The two light clusters are indeed normal indicator, brake, side lights. The very small circular lens just inside the cluster is a tiny convoy light but the larger red lamp is no more than a red reflector lens, same for the lower pair! This means that HL have totally messed up here but their V6 mfu has led outputs for the rear brake and indicators so for those who fancy it you can cut off the cluster and fit a led fitted lorry cluster from Tamiya (for example). All l need to discover now is how to operate/activate the V6 lighting plug sockets. Anyone know what the stick and button combos are??

Return to “General Questions”