So, How Can I Do This?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

So, How Can I Do This?

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

I picked up a pretty nicely done Heng Long Panther G a while back. The original builder did a nice job of upgrading most all the deck and tool equipment with Aber works and sealed the upper and lower hulls. I do not want to disturb the very nicely applied weld works at the glacis. However, I want to remove the turret in preparation for this tank receiving a new paint scheme. I understand the Heng Long Panther turret housing and its base plate are held in place by three screws that somehow help secure it to the Panther deck. There do not seem to be any notches in the deck or tabs on the turret base plate to allow an easy removal of the turret from the deck by simply turning the turret as is the case on Tamiya tanks.

My questions, chaps, is: how can I remove the turret from this Panther's deck?

I humbly call upon the brain trust that resides amongst this august group of tankers.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: So, How Can I Do This?

Post by Tiger6 »

Assuming its still on its original Heng Long chassis, you need to undo the 7 screws on the underside of the tank. Once you have the upper seperated from the lower hull, you can gain access to the underside of the turret and the 3 screws holding it in place.
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

If you can provide photos we can take a look and advise with that tank. But generally with hang long as tiger6 said they un screw underneath to separate and the turret will be held on by 3 screws in the turret ring
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Thanks gents,

But I believe that separating the two hull halves will destroy all the sealing and weld work, something I'm hoping to avoid. Is there another way?
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

If you don't want to disturb the joint between the upper and lower hull this is a way. Remove battery cover and cut out the battery box with a Dremel type tool. cut round a few mm up from hull bottom inside the box to save the battery cover fixings . Once cut out a long screwdriver will have access to the turret screws.
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Yeah that should give just enough room to get in at it but sadly it’s as Ronnie says and cut out the battery bay or disturbing the weld. But weld can be replaced using a tube of filler with a presision tip
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Thanks for the good advise gents. Much appreciated.

Ronnie, I think you've hit on the solution I'm looking for. I very much wanted to preserve the good work done before me. Will give it a go. Much obliged!

Ralph
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

If you're cutting out that battery box blind from the bottom of the tank, you need to be very, very careful that your blade doesn't cut anything inside the tank that you need. There could very well be all kinds of wires and stuff laying on top of that battery box and when you cut through the plastic you might cut through those too. Just a word of warning, hope that helps.
Last edited by Max-U52 on Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I really cannot emphasise enough the advantages of being able to split the Hull from the Body. Forgive me when I say permanently sealing the one to the other has no discernible advantages that I am aware of,
It absolutely will not stop water entering the Hull whereas splitting the two makes access to the hull electronics easy and trust me you will need access to the inside sooner or later, and as has already been explained you are much better placed to remove the turret,
And of course if or when water does get in the hull you can easily sponge it dry which you obviously cannot do with a sealed hull.
Apart from the potential for cutting important wires as MAX-U52 explained, how do you expect to remove the cables leading from the turret to the daughter board and the mfu and even more importantly how do you expect to reinstate those wires when your work on the turret is complete while you are carrying out your pinhole surgery?
If a sealed joint between the Hull and the Tank body is so important to you why not squeeze a bead of Bathroom Sealant around the edge of the Hull,
It is flexible and waterproof and easily separated and renewable when you need access.
Always assuming the split between the hull and the Tank body is along the line immediately under the body which is where the separation was meant to be then no welds would be disturbed.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I agree jarndice. I would rather be able to split and service my tank rather than have the weld. But we all have our own taste

Return to “General Questions”