So, How Can I Do This?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: So, How Can I Do This?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

EB., Yes, your Crusader certainly deserves its own thread; together with a lavish accompaniment of photos (external and internal), if you have them), as it's something of a rarity. It's always refreshing to see
WW2 Brit tanks on show here. At the same time, it could be more of an inducement to makers (other than the bespoke ones, such as Christian) to bring models to market. :thumbup:

Ralph, I have a Tamiya Panther and it separates in such a manner as to leave no obvious gap. It must be possible to achieve this with yours too. You could also benefit from fitting a Taigen 'quick release' kit from the same model. :thumbup:
Access to the gearbox (greasing etc..), the MFU, and wiring really is an essential, in the long long term.
Whilst cutting the battery box out, and sealing the battery door, is a good weatherproofing move- as would be relocating any switches that might be present in the floor- care is crucial. :problem:
You really don't want to saw through that battery cable, or other cables, inadvertently :O
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

This particular crusader was built by Ludwig as I believe his kits at the moment are more than my skills can achieve.

On the inside it is hollow as it will be rc and hopefully on display at Yorkshire wartime experience.

The changes made by myself are

Reduced ride height
Fitted pins to the turret to mimic rivets
Added rings to the wheels to keep tyres in place designed and printed by my dad
Repainted in Portland stone
And repaired shipping damage.

So when you look at the work that goes into these I haven’t done much to it
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

May have an update on su-85 later. It’s having its electrics installed
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

What's the working basis of your SU-85? I'd be interested to see as l'm mid way through building a SU-100 based on a much upgraded Taigen T-34. Right now the barrel recoil and flash parts need to be mounted but other projects keep interrupting progress! It's the way of our hobby :thumbup:
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

The skirts were there to cut down on the amount of dust being kicked up when driving across the desert. Only the Germans used skirts for extra armour protection, because of the specific threat posed by Russian antitank rifles.
Not sure about canvas skirts on Shermans (are you thinking about DD's?), they were delivered with sheet metal ones initially to British army specifications. Once the Allied armies moved into areas with less sand and more bushes to snag them on, they fell out of use rapidly.
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

No Sherman’s did have canvas skirts. But as my research suggests many had them removed or crews only really used them to sleep under as a make shift tent.

There are photos of the m4a2 with them on that was used as a reference to the one my dad built for me.

Some crusaders had this same rail fixed to the metal skirts though I see no evidence to suggest canvas skirts where used on them a canvas shelter of sorts would have likely been tied to it for shelter at night as a make shift tent
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

That being said we are drifting off topic.

My question was. From the photos. Skirt or no skirt.
I have decided to ad the cammo based on bovingtons crusader

Return to “General Questions”