Heng Long lower,Taigen upper hulls compatible

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Maybach 1961
Recruit

Heng Long lower,Taigen upper hulls compatible

Post by Maybach 1961 »

Would a Taigen Tiger upper hull which is much more complete and detailed fit the lower hull of a Heng Long Tiger 1.
I 'assumed' when I purchased the Mato drivers side metal eye port that it came w/the 'deflector' that is mounted to the fore hull top. So I removed the plastic molded part. Obviously that does NOT come in the eye port kit, so I wasted many hours fitting metal accessory hatches, other parts to my HL upper hull
Now I need a replacement upper hull, the Taigen is a more authentic aesthetically, so wanted to give it a go ..IF it fits to a HL lower hull !
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: Heng Long lower,Taigen upper hulls compatible

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Be aware that the mouldings of both HL and Taigen Tiger 1 have changed over time. None will be a straight swap as they use different fixings. Also consider how the tools are fitted / fixed as some Taigen examples are now moulded in the hull. It's easy and cheap to upgrade HL plastic lamps to Taigen better looking metal ones for example.

If you can determine the HL version you have then Dave at Forgebear can probably answer your original question.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I had no problems mounting my HL upper to my Taigen lower. Even the Taigen quick release latch system was totally compatible. You should be able to make it work with little or no effort. I do prefer the HL upper for sure.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

The joke is on me as a total newbie but I started with a HL Tiger 1 exactly one year ago. Now it’s completely a Taigen tank except for the HL upper. So many paths to take in this hobby.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The amount of work needed to get a Taigen Body to the standard of a Heng Long body such as having to scrape all the moulded fixtures and fittings off of the Taigen body makes me wonder why you or indeed anyone would do that.
I do not usually buy RTR Tanks,
When it comes to Panzer 4 and Tiger 1s I buy Heng Long Bodies because the fixtures and fittings come separately and they are much cheaper,
I match them to Taigen Metal Hulls.
I don't understand what you mean about the Taigen Body being better detailed than Heng Longs,
The Taigen body is a pain in the a*se to prep for painting because of the amount of effort needed to remove all the moulded on parts on the Tank body.
The only thing I have had to do to a Heng Long body is to drill out the moulded Driver and Radio operators hatches using a step drill bit and fitting a pair of ready assembled Hinged Taigen Metal replacements with periscopes.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:The amount of work needed to get a Taigen Body to the standard of a Heng Long body such as having to scrape all the moulded fixtures and fittings off of the Taigen body makes me wonder why you or indeed anyone would do that.
I do not usually buy RTR Tanks,
When it comes to Panzer 4 and Tiger 1s I buy Heng Long Bodies because the fixtures and fittings come separately and they are much cheaper,
I match them to Taigen Metal Hulls.
I don't understand what you mean about the Taigen Body being better detailed than Heng Longs,
The Taigen body is a pain in the a*se to prep for painting because of the amount of effort needed to remove all the moulded on parts on the Tank body.
The only thing I have had to do to a Heng Long body is to drill out the moulded Driver and Radio operators hatches using a step drill bit and fitting a pair of ready assembled Hinged Taigen Metal replacements with periscopes.
By body, Shaun, I'm sure you wouldn't include the lower hull. Taigen's lower hull is a mix of alloy and ABS, and is far superior to HL's offering. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Questions”