Forgebear Recoil unit

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
PershingLover
Corporal

Forgebear Recoil unit

Post by PershingLover »

Anyone have any experience with his 3D printed unit? How big is it?
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Forgebear Recoil unit

Post by silversurfer1947 »

If you want information about the recoil unit, the best person to ask is forgebear himself. You will struggle to find a more helpful persos.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

There are images regarding the size comparisons... (Stolen from Can-AM RC Tank Club forum...)
Original Clark Clone (Left), JCC Compact Recoil (Centre), JCC Universal Servo Recoil (Right)
Size profiles

Standard Common Continuous Elevation tail.

Servo tail (Via added linkage)
Clark Clone (upper, T-34 mount) and JCC Compact sold at Forgebear (lower, Jagdpanther mount)

As Installed in the JP.

The universal version by JCC is finishing trials and getting tweaked for final production...
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

How do you remove the barrel from the mantlet? Is is friction, or glue?
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

For which unit?
JP? Unscrew the muzzle brake, unscrew the mantlet (2 screws in bottom of the mantlet retainer) and exterior mantlet can be pulled off the mantlet retainer.
Then pull whole recoil/barrel assembly out from inside.
I HATE the JP mantlet system so I designed and made a friction fit exterior one. It is very fragile when converting to a recoil unit (Cutting out for barrel clearance....)
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

Pershing
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

So the Pershing is akin to the Bulldog... The plastic barrel is molded into/glued to the mantlet. The aluminum airsoft tube is inside this plastic sleeve.

Had to cut off the plastic barrel at the mantlet front (Actually flush with the main front of the mantlet to allow excess barrel length to be shaved down and to recoil inside the brass tube.

Aluminum airsoft tube is CA'd into the JCC Recoil unit. Note the heavy sanded area of the plastic barrel and the gap between the plastic barrel and the recoil unit barrel mount.

Obviously with the plastic barrel's fume extractor and muzzle brake it cannot be removed by sliding it through the mantlet towards the recoil unit.

A small 2mm screw is threaded in the underside of the barrel to secure the plastic barrel onto the airsoft tube. This also ensures proper muzzle brake clocking/orientation.
Need to remove? Remove the retaining screw and slide the plastic barrel off.

Showing the 16mm OD x 14mm ID brass tube used as the gun barrel sleeve for recoiling. Heavily epoxied into place for strength.
I also epoxied the mantlet into a permanent mount on the recoil unit since there is clearance. Next will be the 7mm OD x 5mm ID brass tube mounted for the IR emitter.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Great thread. Didn't know about the units bust ordered two of the cimpact version. That is exactly what I needed.
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Soeren wrote:Great thread. Didn't know about the units bust ordered two of the cimpact version. That is exactly what I needed.
If you have any Q's about the JCC Compact recoil unit, drop me a PM.
One note on the JCC Compact recoil unit. They do not work with stock rotating side elevation units (Stug, Sherman, Panther, etc...). You will need to use the servo tail and individually tailor the linkage/throw to get the desired gun barrel elevation/depression.
The new prototype of the JCC Universal (shown being part of the M41 above, and the design models above) will work with those elevation units.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Thank you. I already have a servo elevattion mounted and plan to just glue or screw this unit to the mantlet directly.

Return to “General Questions”