Dead Pershing, Help?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
PershingLover
Corporal

Dead Pershing, Help?

Post by PershingLover »

First post, and unfortunately a bad one.
Recently, I was running my stock Heng Long S&S Pershing, nothing different, just dirt, little bit of grass, and some incline, etc.
The Pershing was running fine, until it shut down, with only the lights left blinking. No movement, nothing. Brought it inside, and noticed a weird smell.
Few days later, I have tried charging the tank battery, binding with the cable, all sorts of combinations, changing radio batteries, nothing.

I believe the board burned out. It's not an Rx18, maybe an Rx13 or Rx14?

Before I buy an new board, can you guys help me confirm?

Thanks!

P.S. Thanks to the guy here who gave me the idea to make cast texture!
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Dead Pershing, Help?

Post by c.rainford73 »

Please feel free to post a bit about yourself with an introduction thread before you join the fray and ask questions....

Then you will be assured all the help you need

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

How old is your Pershing because the RX13 is a very old 27 MHz board ?
Does your tank have crystals in the transmitter?
Are the wires feeding into the control board plugged in or soldered?
And 1/16 RC Tanks hate running through grass, :thumbdown:
A lot of very unhappy tankers have found that out the hard way :'(
If you have burnt out an RX13 board now would be a very good time to upgrade to an RX18 which is a 2.4 board and is plug and play.
There is a bit of work involved but nothing you cannot handle,
We can talk you through it if you need help.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

My board is 2.4 ghz, but it is not an Rx18. All wires are the pins, and plugged in.
I know grass is bad, but, well, here we are.

Thanks for your help!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

jarndice wrote:How old is your Pershing because the RX13 is a very old 27 MHz board ?
Does your tank have crystals in the transmitter?
Are the wires feeding into the control board plugged in or soldered?
And 1/16 RC Tanks hate running through grass, :thumbdown:
A lot of very unhappy tankers have found that out the hard way :'(
If you have burnt out an RX13 board now would be a very good time to upgrade to an RX18 which is a 2.4 board and is plug and play.
There is a bit of work involved but nothing you cannot handle,
We can talk you through it if you need help.
The RX-18 was 27 MHz, and once they went to 2.4 GHz they no longer said RX-18 on the MFU, it just says 2.4 GHZ. If you have an MFU that says RX-18 on it, it will be 27 MHz.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Somebody is going to point out how wrong I am AGAIN !!!
But I think that the RX18 was a Generation "1" Board and the present board the "6.0/1" is the generation "4" which would seem to identify your board to be a Generation "2" or"3",
I would suggest you remove the board and give it a close look to find an identifier as well as trying to find the source of the "Magic" smoke.
Heng Long MFUs are actually in a close fitting protective box and can be easily removed for inspection.
New boards are easily sourced from Heng Long dealers and of course E-Bay for not too much money,
They are not unfortunately repairable if "The Magic smoke" has escaped.
Before you give up on your board it would be a good idea to do a circuit check of the wires feeding into it.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Don't take it personal, Shaun, most guys refer to those units as rx18 so it's kind of become a common name. Kind of like how everybody refers to copy machines as Xerox machines. Personally, I wouldn't even waste my time trying to replace it, I'd get a Clark or an ibu or an elmod and put something decent in there. If you don't want to go with the HL 6.0, the TG V3 is pretty good, but I wouldn't waste my time with anything less.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

They are not unfortunately repairable if "The Magic smoke" has escaped.
That's the thing. I didn't see any smoke. There was a strange smell, but I tacked that up to churning up wet grass. Maybe it was the board burning?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Thanks Max, Of course I didn't take it personally, I foul up all the time on the Forum as well you know :haha: You're right about the generic use of the RX18 title hence my confusion,
Not knowing the abilities or the size of the pocket book of our latest member I figured that replacing like for like would be less of a shock than introducing him/her? to an IBU or an Elmod or a Clark :haha:
Glad that you are keeping a close watch on this thread as I think it has a bit of a way to go yet.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Simply replacing the Multi Function Unit (or MFU) with a newer version or another make is usually not a simple plug and play procedure. Is our new member up to or wanting to get involved in rewiring potentially the whole tank? It should affect the proposed solution! I'll ask him now?

Are you used to using a soldering iron and multi meter??
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “General Questions”