Taigen Leopard 2A6 V3 or HL Leopard 2A6 V 6.0?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Taigen Leopard 2A6 V3 or HL Leopard 2A6 V 6.0?

Post by jarndice »

I only have one Clark Board, I bought it (A TK22) because I understood it was a simple Plug & Play.
If only, and my temper was not improved when I discovered that to programme it I needed a Sony TV Remote, DGSelkirk came to the rescue for which I was most grateful but after that experience I have given Clark products a wide berth,
I am ready to be corrected but if my experience is in any way common across the range I shall continue to buy elsewhere,
I have been searching for a Heng Long PZ4 body wired for a v6.0 board which I would match to the Taigen Metal Hull with the MFU free option and then I would fit the Heng Long v6.0 board in the hull but wherever I look I find Taigen PZ4 bodies with moulded on tools and fittings.
The Taigen PZ4 Turret has been rejuvenated and is about as good as it gets but when are Taigen going to get a grip of the PZ4 body.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Why not speak to Dave at Forgebear for the Taigen parts and Andrew at Haya for the HL parts? Looking at their websites, it's beginning to look like either one could maybe do it! If you feel comfortable removing moulded tools then you could use a set of HL ones from a spare parts frame.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I very much doubt that there is a dealer in the known world that I have not looked at searching for a HENG LONG Panzer 4 Body wired for the V6.0 MFU without success,
As to removing moulded on tools and fittings from TAIGEN 1/16 armour I have had to do this for long enough to be adept at this annoying exercise but WHY should anyone have to?
Heng Long stopped the practice years ago and yet Taigen whose whole range where it overlaps Heng Longs are much more expensive and yet they will not fix this glaring shortcoming,
What I find truly perplexing is the latest Taigen PZ4 Turret is a market leader in accuracy and detail so they can get it right if they try.
I usually buy my Heng Long Products from www.heng-long-panzer.de/ although I have purchased from "Haya",
I usually buy Taigen products from either www.rctank.de/ or www.forgebeartanks.com
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:I very much doubt that there is a dealer in the known world that I have not looked at searching for a HENG LONG Panzer 4 Body wired for the V6.0 MFU without success,
As to removing moulded on tools and fittings from TAIGEN 1/16 armour I have had to do this for long enough to be adept at this annoying exercise but WHY should anyone have to?
Heng Long stopped the practice years ago and yet Taigen whose whole range where it overlaps Heng Longs are much more expensive and yet they will not fix this glaring shortcoming,
What I find truly perplexing is the latest Taigen PZ4 Turret is a market leader in accuracy and detail so they can get it right if they try.
I usually buy my Heng Long Products from http://www.heng-long-panzer.de/ although I have purchased from "Haya",
I usually buy Taigen products from either http://www.rctank.de/ or http://www.forgebeartanks.com
It's been a while since I've looked at Panzer IV offerings, Shaun. After a quick recce of HLP.de., Ebay, and so on, it looks as if Heng Long haven't produced a Panzer IV since they released this Ausf F2 version:
Heng Long Panzer IV Ausf F2-airsoft
Heng Long Panzer IV Ausf F2-airsoft
Heng Long Panzer IV Ausf F2.jpg (74.09 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
In the meantime, Taigen Torro have moved on to the vastly improved (but still flawed) Ausf G. :|
Perhaps HL is planning to sell off its inventory of the F2, before moving on to the 'G'. In any event, the Taigen model seems to be the only one worth a look these days, as they now appear to have different moulds t0 the ones they once shared with HL (presumably), when the F2 was doing the rounds.
In time, I guess all new releases from HL will have V6.0 nervous systems on board; but whether they will revisit the Pz IV or not, is a moot point. One has to be careful when buying these days, as older inventory is on sale next to the V6.0 products. Caveat Emptor, boys!
These days, perhaps, the bigger, more modern tanks are raking in the cash for the company now. It could be, and this might disincline the company to upgrade older models.
:think: .
Meantime, here's a nice video of the HL Panzer IV F2 (from 2012) in action:
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Unlike General J., I don't have any first-hand experience of HL's quantum leap V6.0 heart and nervous system...sooooo...instead of getting (yet another) Tiger 1 with the system on board, I got the cheapest
HL Leopard 2A6 I could find. Amazingly, it arrived in only two days. 8O Normally, Snail Mail and Couriers treat my Highland postcode as somewhere in the Arctic, or Siberia. :lolno:
(The HL model is about £190 + postage at rctank.de currently, and I got mine for £130 inc.postage. No doubt Aliexpress can trump that price, but I'm OK with what I paid)
The build quality's not bad at all, inasmuch as the lines, and details, are fairly crisp. :) It has the TK6.0 system on board- but I took it apart, just to check ;)
The suspension arms are cast metal and with the springs provided, the suspension feels quite responsive. Inside, I wasn't surprised to find a cheapo gearbox with nylon(?) gears, but they'll do for the meantime.
In any event, I had the idea of using the V6.0 components in my Chally 2; but if I like the feel of the Leopard, I may well leave it as it is, for now. :) The main thing is to evaluate the system, and see whether it's worth buying as an upgrade for some of my other tanks.
The unboxing (with curious Westie pup in attendance):
Click to ENLARGE the pix
HL Leopard 2A6 with V6.0 innards
HL Leopard 2A6 with V6.0 innards
This is the commander supplied with the tank :O :haha: :haha: This gave me a welcome full guffaw!!
Apparently, this commander, complete with Knight's Cross, Iron Cross, M43 Alpine Mutze, and WW2 uniform must have travelled through time, according to Heng Long, in order to join the Bundeswehr. :lolno:
Time-travelling Leopard Commander
Time-travelling Leopard Commander
Leopard TK60 board
Leopard TK60 board
Inside, there's acres of space. The revised speaker looks ok, and in the corners, (left of pic) you can see the tiny meatl track adjusters/tensioners)
Leopard revised speaker and track adjuster
Leopard revised speaker and track adjuster
HL Leopard cheapo gearbox...
HL Leopard cheapo gearbox...
Finally, the Airsoft wiring loom. This could certainly benefit from the 360 deg kit available for tanks kitted out with the V6.0 nervous system :)
Leopard Airsoft wiring loom
Leopard Airsoft wiring loom
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I think that’s a great price! I paid over $500 for my Taigen metal edition. I agree that it’s odd to include a WW2 figure with a Bundeswehr tank.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:I think that’s a great price! I paid over $500 for my Taigen metal edition. I agree that it’s odd to include a WW2 figure with a Bundeswehr tank.
:D
Yeah, Jim, with a few wee upgrades- especially the optional 360 kit, and maybe the smoking gun option, whenever that becomes available, this could be a fun tank- and still at a budget price :wave:
I have a couple of top-end Taigen models (T-34 and King Tiger), and they're very well kitted out. So well, in fact, that I've been reluctant to tinker with them, or to 'improve' them. :D
The KT came with it's own wooden sarcophagus- unnecessary, but nice. ;)
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Was speaking to Haya today and they have in stock a Haya smoking barrel but l think it needs their new Haya 6.x mfu and transmitter. It was not clear how generic this solution is or if the Haya branding is just that or genuinely different (its certainly using the HL case). Exciting times. However, they all need to agree on a fully compatible IR battle system. Hmmm..... That's easier said than done!

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Was speaking to Haya today and they have in stock a Haya smoking barrel but l think it needs their new Haya 6.x mfu and transmitter. It was not clear how generic this solution is or if the Haya branding is just that or genuinely different (its certainly using the HL case). Exciting times. However, they all need to agree on a fully compatible IR battle system. Hmmm..... That's easier said than done!

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Yes, after a couple of years in the armour doldrums, things are moving forward again at a decent pace. My guess, re: HL and Taigen in particular, is that the market has grown sufficiently to rubber stamp some investment in design, and production. At the same time, where Taigen was once just a spin-off from Heng Long, it now seems more like a competitor and separate entity. :think: That's probably a good thing.
As for Andrew's inventory, unless he has very deep pockets, I think that his V.6 kit is likely to be just a rebranded Heng Long electronic package. Rebranding is everywhere these days.
Nonetheless, as you say, GJ, exciting times :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Found a few spare minutes to fit all the Leopard accessories (plenty of 'em!), and run a function test. I have to say everything worked exactly as it should :) A few years ago, that might not have been the case. :problem: This was the first time I'd actual hands-on experience of the HL V6.0 electronics and, like others here, was quite impressed. :thumbup:
It's handy being able to switch the smoker off, and adjust the volume, remotely. Those are definite plus points. For a model that cost around £130 (yes, I'm sure it can be had for less elsewhere...still), it looks pretty
good with decals and extras added. In fact, there's not an awful lot to choose between it, and rich kid's Tamiya Leopard. Well, at first sight anyway. I did observe that if the laughable manual the rear shackle
holders/brackets are fitted upside down, but apart from that, the details are very good. :thumbup:
I'd say the handling is truly proportional and top-notch!. The model handled well on carpet and laminate flooring, and responded very well to light touches on the toggles.
Grass and other surfaces will have to wait, as it's freezing outside, and I really don't want another shattered ankle :problem: 8O
HL Leopard 2A6 V.6.0-fully kitted out
HL Leopard 2A6 V.6.0-fully kitted out
Those aren't smoke dischargers on the left, by the way. Nah, those are my spice rack jars. Mind you, o- they'd probably work well with a 1:6 model...
HL Leopard 2A6-V6.0-fully kitted out-rear view.
HL Leopard 2A6-V6.0-fully kitted out-rear view.
Click to ENLARGE smaller pics.

Return to “General Questions”