tamiya panzer 4 questions

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
paulc
Private

tamiya panzer 4 questions

Post by paulc »

hi all just got myself a 2nd hand full option tamiya pz4 and was wondering can you split the wheels after they have been assembled. The reason I ask is want to fit bearings to them or will I have to get a new set which I hope not. Also any other recommendations or improvements for this kit but don't want to spend a fortune. still got a production line of tanks to finish like Tamiya tiger 1, Tamiya King tiger, another Tamiya KT been converted to a Jagdtiger, old Tamiya Sherman and a Tamiya pershing finally ready for painting, oh and not forgetting a HL panzer 3.
Also I want to fit some side armour skirts anyone know where I can get some plans for these.
Last edited by paulc on Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tamiya tanks X2 Shermans, JS2, KV1,KV2, Pershing, x2 Tiger, King tiger, Panther, Jagdpanther, Panzer IV, Jagdpanzer.
Heng long Panzer III
Torro Sturmtiger
Tamiya / Torro Jagdtiger
john1970
Corporal

Re: tamiya panzer 4 question

Post by john1970 »

The instruction are available in the downloads section. Should help answering your question
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: tamiya panzer 4 question

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

You can also download the build manual directly from here, in pdf format:
https://cdn.simba-dickie-group.de/downl ... eitung.pdf
The Pz IV roadwheels have greased bronze bushings, if assembled as per instructions.
They run very smoothly, in fact, and should be fairly durable. For this reason, I'm wondering why you would want to go to the trouble of splitting them, in order to replace the bushings with bearings? Finding bearings that will be a snug fit might be tricky, but splitting the wheels could actually damage them. Then, Finding the sprues containing the
wheels could take time, and would be, perhaps, an unnecessary expense, in my opinion. The Tamiya PZ Iv running gear is pretty good as it is, and is superior to that found on the Taigen and Heng Long versions. :|
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
paulc
Private

Re: tamiya panzer 4 questions

Post by paulc »

thanks for the links for the manual have now downloaded it. looks like its a new set of wheels if I want bearings. As I didn't build it don't know if they have been greased
Tamiya tanks X2 Shermans, JS2, KV1,KV2, Pershing, x2 Tiger, King tiger, Panther, Jagdpanther, Panzer IV, Jagdpanzer.
Heng long Panzer III
Torro Sturmtiger
Tamiya / Torro Jagdtiger
HengRong
Recruit

Post by HengRong »

I have to agree with everything 43rdRecceReg said. I don't see any point in adding bearings, especially now the tank has been built. I have run the stock suspension on my PzIV for over 4 years without any trouble, in fact the tank is one of my best runners.
Cheers.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

I do have bearings on my PIV... But I fitted them on the building process, and the wheels had to be machined! There are no bearings that are a straight fit.

If you have your PIV already assembled, Id stick with the stock bushings which arent that bad.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Eastern Front wrote:Paul,
I wouldn't give up on them.. If they used regular glue like superglue you will be able to separate them fairly easily.. There are a few glues that I would classify as "Forever" glues, I use them but find few people do. The Tenax or "same stuff" and acetone are forever glue's

I am thinking you could look at the maual and just reverse the process, clean them out and put in bearings, then glue them back.. If you can't get them apart just use sone light grade sewing machine type oil with a needle applicator and lube them that way, just stay out of dirt.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
If the builder followed the Tamiya build manual, EF., He/She/? would have used Tamiya (ordinary non-ABS) plastic cement. I used Revell Contacta professional on mine; the same sort of product, but easier to apply, thanks to the syringe-like needle dispenser. ( :thumbup: )

Anyone who spent the massive amount of money needed to acquire the Full-Option Pz IV kit, must have gone to the trouble of greasing the wheel hubs during assembly, surely?
Well, it's probably a good assumption. Thus, these wheels are not meant to be spit after they are bonded (cement-welded) together.
if the wheels spin freely, let 'em be. That's my advice. :D
Finding a 'preloved' Tamiya Pz IV is no mean feat, by the way, and it's a great model. Do enjoy it, and don't fret over it. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hi Paul,

If you do not wish to go to the trouble of producing your own armoured side skirts there are a couple of options from some of the well known tank vendors, they also supply the armour panel surround for the turret, hope this helps :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Following on from Lee's useful suggestion, here's just one example of a skirt-kit you could use:
https://www.rctank.de/Panzer-IV-aprons- ... olystyrene
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Thanks for adding the link Roy :D that's one of the skirt kits that I was referring to :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:

Return to “General Questions”