British tank names always seem to begin with 'C'.Why?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

Re: British tank names always seem to begin with 'C'.Why?

Post by jarndice »

To start a war you need an enemy and Mr Hitler's invasion of Poland which was in contravention of the treaty agreement between Poland, France and the UK provided one but it was Mr Chamberlains Tory Government who declared war on Germany not the other way round.
By the way I resent being called by inference [quote="General Jumbo01"] "a lying, cheating, miserable two faced self interested politician". :haha: The deadbeats at Eton/Harrow carry the can for that bunch of losers.
We were being trained to be leaders who would defend the Empire/Commonwealth and keep the Monarch free from the unwashed hoi polloi, :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Ah, but you wouldn't want to go to private school in the UK because you could end up becoming a lying, cheating, miserable two faced self interested politician.

Now, in the good old days we had primary for the up to 7s, then junior for the up to 11 yr olds when they then took the 11+ exams and the very few bright ones who passed then went to grammer schools where they studied to pass lots of O & A level GCEs while the dross were sent to secondary schools to learn how to claim benefits. Far simpler then :crazy:

Multiple choice questions appeared in the new CSE exams introduced for the secondary schools in the late 60s. In those days it was normal for the teachers to do nothing for months on end and then tell the pupils what the CSE questions would be so that thick kids could recognise them in the multiple choice questions, eg What European country started the 2nd world war? A) Britain, B) USA or C) **Hitler's filthy Nazis**?

How things have changed....
I went to a grammar school, GJ, and I'm glad I did. It made going to Uni, and getting a grant much easier (Degree and Post-Grad). In consequence, (though the Education Authority never saw it that way) It also opened the portals of hedonistic 1960s living, for which I'm also grateful- since, decades later, it was a great proving ground for these- the layabout retirement years. :haha:
Incidentally, we don't have 'thick' kids anymore. Nah, they usually have 'dyslexia', 'ADHD', a bad homelife, an acute fear of examinations, or one of selection of more 'sensitive' conditions, that coerce these hapless 'yoof' victims into underachieving academically. In the modern World, someone else, or some institution, will always be to blame for these 'airhead' tendencies- never the owners of them. :crazy:
What I love about PC culture is the rich store of euphemisms the liberal luvvies have dreamt up to excuse obtuseness, and the like. Thus, these days, for example- you don't actually 'fail' an exam. No, what johnny thicko has is 'deferred success' :haha: :haha:
Back on the tank naming theme, the Germans do like their predatory Big Cat names. But we, for reasons that call Bowie to mind, opted ..' To ch- ch- change-' to 'C'...mostly. ;)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Believe me, it was the Eton and Harrow set that l was referring to. I went down the grammar, university grad then post grad degrees as my career progressed and l loved every challenge along the way, especially the MBA, eventually retiring at 50. However, having retired l wouldn't want to do it all again, even if l wouldn't want to change it all. I just wish that kids would set their targets higher, push themselves harder and achieve much more. The rewards are there for those that try. Just stop trying to be celebs!! :/
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Believe me, it was the Eton and Harrow set that l was referring to. I went down the grammar, university grad then post grad degrees as my career progressed and l loved every challenge along the way, especially the MBA, eventually retiring at 50. However, having retired l wouldn't want to do it all again, even if l wouldn't want to change it all. I just wish that kids would set their targets higher, push themselves harder and achieve much more. The rewards are there for those that try. Just stop trying to be celebs!! :/
Hmmm.... o- something you just wrote... :problem: Wait, yes...Eureka, GJ! A new name for Britain's next tank- if we ever build one- The 'Celeb' ! Perfect. :) :D
The tank will come with Tattoo camouflage, a piercing in the side of the barrel, ultra tight-fitting tracks, a direct link (for approval', and 'likes') to Tankbook and InstaTank, and will resist being be referred to as 'She'. :) :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
General Jumbo01 wrote:Ah, but you wouldn't want to go to private school in the UK because you could end up becoming a lying, cheating, miserable two faced self interested politician.

Now, in the good old days we had primary for the up to 7s, then junior for the up to 11 yr olds when they then took the 11+ exams and the very few bright ones who passed then went to grammer schools where they studied to pass lots of O & A level GCEs while the dross were sent to secondary schools to learn how to claim benefits. Far simpler then :crazy:

Multiple choice questions appeared in the new CSE exams introduced for the secondary schools in the late 60s. In those days it was normal for the teachers to do nothing for months on end and then tell the pupils what the CSE questions would be so that thick kids could recognise them in the multiple choice questions, eg What European country started the 2nd world war? A) Britain, B) USA or C) **Hitler's filthy Nazis**?

I was in this system failed 11 plus (because i was ill)Went to secondary school ,started work at 14 as an engineering apprentice,Finished apprenticeship at 20 joined RAF served 6 years medical discharge,back to home town worked for 25 years in aerospace building thrust reversers and intakes for aircraft,traveled all over the world fixing reversers ,came across so called graduates who couldn't even order the correct parts (ordering metric parts for aircraft),designers,who didn't know the basics(fitting titanium with cadmium parts bolts wrong direction on drawing) ,stress engineers who didnt have clue how aerodynamics effect parts (fitting a fairing with open end ) These so called engineers used to hate it when i went into engineering to kick them in the Butt.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

971wright wrote: engineers who didnt have clue how aerodynamics effect parts (fitting a fairing with open end ) These so called engineers used to hate it when i went into engineering to kick them in the Butt.
This is why, here in Detroit, we machinists get together every full moon and sacrifice an engineer to appease the lathe gods. @) :haha:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
General Jumbo01

BUNDLE!!!
:clap:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

971wright wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:

I was in this system failed 11 plus (because i was ill)Went to secondary school ,started work at 14 as an engineering apprentice,Finished apprenticeship at 20 joined RAF served 6 years medical discharge,back to home town worked for 25 years in aerospace building thrust reversers and intakes for aircraft,traveled all over the world fixing reversers ,came across so called graduates who couldn't even order the correct parts (ordering metric parts for aircraft),designers,who didn't know the basics(fitting titanium with cadmium parts bolts wrong direction on drawing) ,stress engineers who didnt have clue how aerodynamics effect parts (fitting a fairing with open end ) These so called engineers used to hate it when i went into engineering to kick them in the Butt.
Back in the 50s and 60s there were, in fact, three secondary school types: Grammar, Technical, and Secondary Modern. One thing they all had in common was (I'd argue) the werewithal to turn out pupils who were far more literate, and numerate, with a better level of general knowledge than those from the 90s and the so-called 'Millennials'. What's more, they were taught useful skills in all schools. (It's a pity that domestic sciences ever disappeared from the curriculum). Whilst I also did arts subjects later, I also got a good grounding in Woodwork, Engineering theory and Practice, Technical drawing, Maths, Physics...and so on.
Modern graduates are barely literate, I'd argue, because their teachers were also barely literate- having come through a liberal, discipline-free system, that dumbed standards down.
Doctors, Engineers, and other professionals were far better educated ( I'd also argue) in the 40s, 50s, 60s, even the 70s, than later decades. None of them began a sentence with 'So...' >:<, or peppered their speech
with misused 'Likes' and"Literallys', as well as indulging in irritating 'Uptalk' (rising intonation, or 'Valley Girl Speak'), and the weird phenomenon of 'Creaky Voice' (AKA 'Vocal Fry').
On the theme of useless graduates, with useless degrees, you'd have to look no further than those with 'Tourism, Media Studies, and a host of other mickey-mouse degrees, as well as those with 'degrees' in David Beckham Studies, or Burgerology (Yes!. Incredibly, it exists :O ). Presumably, one would not receive a B.A., or B.Sc. It would be the B.M. (Big mac) :D
Then we have those with the bogus, internet bought, qualifications.
I agree the 11 + was divisive. I know quite a few kids who were very bright at Junior school, but had an off day with the 11+. The German system's far better, giving those with less interest in purely academic subjects a first-rate technical education. :thumbup:
I'd also agree, that historically, the armed services could turn out very well educated, highly-skilled servicemen. :thumbup:
But- I think we're beginning to go way off topic now...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's another discussion on the topic, with a few interesting Tank nomenclature factoids.
http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php ... come-from/
Someone suggests, that Cruiser tanks were required to have model names beginning with 'C'

Return to “General Questions”