Help

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
john1970
Corporal

Re: Help

Post by john1970 »

If your gears look like this then they are zinc alloy

Speedbird193
Recruit

Post by Speedbird193 »

Those are the ones

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

Speedbird193 wrote:Those are the ones
Yeah might want to avoid grass unless it's cut very short. Those gearboxes are suitable for normal use, hard surfaces, short carpet, dried mud, etc. They're not hard running mud driving ones like the black steel ones for example.
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
Speedbird193
Recruit

Post by Speedbird193 »

Thanks

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It does raise the question of what surfaces tank gearboxes should be expected to run on. :think:
The buyer would be justly aggrieved if, for example, a £300-400 Taigen Panther G couldn't be used on grass, gravel, or carpet...etc.
Even the budget Heng Long models should be multi-surface capable and, if not, what's the point of having them? Most houses have some carpeting in them, just as most gardens have grass, and since these are areas often frequented by the RC tank loving species of human, you'd think RC tank makers would have factored this in. :problem:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Speedbird193
Recruit

Post by Speedbird193 »

Id used it on sand dirt mud and gress for over a year with the old gear boxes

john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

To get your tank running I assume you got a pair of gearboxes when you replaced the left hand gearbox this would mean you should have a good spare right hand gearbox. If so the cogs are the same in both sides so you should be able take them out of the good spare right side and put them in the left side.

Also check that all the wheels and rear idler turn freely you might have grass wrapped around them.

I would recommend getting the gearboxes Forgebear is linking to they are a lot better.
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

43rdRecceReg wrote:It does raise the question of what surfaces tank gearboxes should be expected to run on. :think:
... Yes, but there is grass:

And grass:

Just like there's mud:

And mud:

HL tanks are toys. That's all they are. They're fun toys. Nice toys. But, toys. If you want a hard-driving, mud conquering, unstoppable beast, don't buy a toy.
43rdRecceReg wrote:you'd think RC tank makers would have factored this in.
That costs money that eventually the customer would have to pay.
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:D Well, Lert, you forgot to include this grass:
Happy Tanker at play
Happy Tanker at play
Grass smoker.jpg (64.61 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
Perhaps, I should have added the rider- 'within reason', to the surfaces these 'toys' should be expected to perform adequately on . :D
Nice pics, by the way, and glad to see that your sense of humour is fully intact.
A wee bit of idle speculation: I wonder how well an 'all-metal' Taigen King Tiger would cope with, say, an Afghan poppy field... (minus mines, the Taliban and ..of course..the lethally irate farmer) :think: ...
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

43rdRecceReg wrote::D Well, Lert, you forgot to include this grass:
Being born and raised Dutch and studied in Amsterdam I have a soft spot for this particular type of grass.
43rdRecceReg wrote:Perhaps, I should have added the rider- 'within reason', to the surfaces these 'toys' should be expected to perform adequately on . :D
Personally I like to err on the side of caution myself and find that - in my experience - when the weedy HL stock motors start struggling with the surface it might be time to find something easier to drive on.
43rdRecceReg wrote:A wee bit of idle speculation: I wonder how well an 'all-metal' Taigen King Tiger would cope with, say, an Afghan poppy field... (minus mines, the Taliban and ..of course..the lethally irate farmer) :think: ...
Personally I'd want to drive this KT in that terrain:

phpBB [video]

I wonder what sound module they used in that ...

Return to “General Questions”