How good are Tamiya speakers compared with the competition?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

How good are Tamiya speakers compared with the competition?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I just wondered how good Tamiya tank speakers are when compared with the opposition (or opposition alternatives)? :think:
This one, for the Pz IV costs almost 70 Euros:
Tamiya Pz IV speaker
Tamiya Pz IV speaker
Tamiya Pz IV speaker.jpg (27.32 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
Tamiya Tiger 1 speaker (over 50 Euros):
Tamiya Tiger 1 speaker.
Tamiya Tiger 1 speaker.
Tamiya Tiger 1 speaker.jpg (24.13 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
If you happen to build a Tamiya tank from a static model (when available) using another make of speaker is always an option. But, is it the right option?
Similarly, the internal spaces of Taigen and HL tanks are- for obvious reasons- roughly the same as those of Tamiya models, and so fitting Tamiya speakers to non-Tamiya tanks could be an option (notwithstanding
swapping out electrical connectors, disparate power needs, etc...). But, would it be worthwhile for any possible improvement in sounds? i wonder. :think: :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: How good are Tamiya speakers compared with the competiti

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I see some audio enthusiast has gone to the trouble of fitting twin KV 1 Tamiya speakers to his Tamiya Tiger 1. Clearly, he's a fan, but maybe he's also got all of Rad's sound effects playlist on board...and thinks this is the best means of doing justice to them :D
phpBB [video]

Great sound, though :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi, now you mention me... You all know I am very critic with Tamiya... But I must say the speakers are good, very good. But I don't think this is because of the quality of the speaker itself. They are good because of the resonance box. The bigger the box, the better the sound and better the bass.

But 70 Euros? Nope, NO WAY. For that price I can buy two decent speakers with a nice subwoofer for my computer, lol.

So yes, if your tank arrived with the speaker and you have room for all the electronics, Id use it.
If I had a tamiya tank that came with no tamiya speaker, id try to source a speaker with similar specs and to handmade an enclosure for it as big as possible for a minimal fraction the price.

That guy having problems with two speakers... Well, I dont have the numbers on my head, but each of those speakers can be feeded with up to 5W, and the benedini Mini has an output of less than 2W, so it does not surprise me it does not work well. And also I think it is just stupid to fit two speakers.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi you can pick up Tamiya truck speakers a lot cheaper they are also smaller so fit in panzer 3 easy,you can get the truck speaker box and fit your own speaker in these cost around £10.

regards pete
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

70 Euros for a speaker is a bit to much don't forget you have to add postage to that as well so would push it closer to the 85 Euro mark. There's an old thread about making speaker boxes with a few videos and the sound quality seems quite good.

viewtopic.php?t=21606
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

http://www.rctankelectronics.com
speaker enclosures £10 to £25.depending on size and whether you choose it with or without a "Visaton" Speaker.
Last edited by jarndice on Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

I use the KV1 speaker from Tamiya - it is identical to the panzer IV one and half the price...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:I use the KV1 speaker from Tamiya - it is identical to the panzer IV one and half the price...
A good tip, Adam :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Hi, now you mention me... You all know I am very critic with Tamiya... But I must say the speakers are good, very good. But I don't think this is because of the quality of the speaker itself. They are good because of the resonance box. The bigger the box, the better the sound and better the bass.

But 70 Euros? Nope, NO WAY. For that price I can buy two decent speakers with a nice subwoofer for my computer, lol.

So yes, if your tank arrived with the speaker and you have room for all the electronics, Id use it.
If I had a tamiya tank that came with no tamiya speaker, id try to source a speaker with similar specs and to handmade an enclosure for it as big as possible for a minimal fraction the price.

That guy having problems with two speakers... Well, I dont have the numbers on my head, but each of those speakers can be feeded with up to 5W, and the benedini Mini has an output of less than 2W, so it does not surprise me it does not work well. And also I think it is just stupid to fit two speakers.
Something told me that Tamiya speakers might get the Rad seal of approval (if not the price :D...and we know how much you love a bargain, Rad :thumbup: ). Interestingly, it's not necessarily the case that bigger boxes make for better sounds. The Studio monitor speakers I use for recording, for example, are quite small, but have greater clarity and depth than most sizeable, high output hi-fi speakers.

As for the KV1 speakers, it's tempting to say that he was hoping for a stereo effect; but with minimal separation, the stereo effect would also be minimal. Maybe one is dedicated to tank sounds, and the other
to rousing martial music, or the Horst Wessel Lied. :)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks too, to John, Shaun and Pete for your input... :thumbup:
I'll certainly look at Tamiya speakers for other vehicle ranges. Good tip :thumbup:

Return to “General Questions”