I think I FUBARed the motherboard

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jgm219
Recruit

I think I FUBARed the motherboard

Post by jgm219 »

Hi everyone! I'm new to r/c tanking and I think I did a bad, bad thing. Not that I think it can't be fixed with a replacement, but that I screwed up the stock part in the first place. I have a Taigen Tiger 1 with the V3 electronics that I bought a month ago and I love it. I love it enough that I upgraded the tracks, gearboxes, idlers, drive wheels, etc, and then I decided to upgrade my stock transmitter. I bought a Flysky FS-I6X kit to do that. I had all the PWM cables set up from the motherboard to the Flysky receiver, bound the tank to the new transmitter, and got it to work. Yay for me and all that I then only needed to assign everything on the transmitter to where I wanted them. Then stupidity struck. I decided to tinker around with moving the PWM cables around between the motherboard and the receiver (at one point with the tank powered on like a dummy), and then everything stopped working. The headlights no longer flash, the new receiver no longer powers on, and the original transmitter no longer binds to the tank. The fan on the motherboard gets power, but nothing operates any longer. Instinct kicked in and I started kicking my own butt. Logically I'm certain I blew out the motherboard. I have purchased a new one, but now my second and third thoughts have kicked in and I wonder if that was the right move. Anyone have any ideas to help a dumb noob out, please?
Last edited by jgm219 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do believe I got you covered.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: I think I FUBARed the motherboard

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Given the symptoms you describe, it does sound like the motherboard (multi function unit or MFU) has been damaged. The receiver gets its power from the MFU so if it fails to show any lights that suggests circuits in the MFU have blown, as does the failure to rebind. Just check that all your leads and plugs are good - the cables are thin and don't like being pulled around. Also check the polarities..

You should fit the receiver to MFU leads as per the manual. You can assign the transmitter controls to the functions you want them to control in the Skyfly transmitter system setup (its very flexible).

Let us know how you get on.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jgm219
Recruit

Post by jgm219 »

Thank you, General. That's what I thought, and I'm sad that I blew it out, but the lesson was definitely learned. I've set up the transmitter per what the Taigen receiver is set as, and now the wait is on for the replacement MFU. IN time I think I'll move up to an IBU2, but now the job is on to make sure I get it right this time around. Thank you again for responding, and confirming what I was certain I did.
jgm219
Recruit

Post by jgm219 »

Update
I replaced the MFU with a new Taigen replacement, and the FlySky i6X and it did bind and operate as perfectly as it should. I've found a good tutorial on programming the transmitter, and I've done that, but I need to search the posts on getting the sticks the way I want them. Barring that I'll just start a new post.
General Jumbo01

Its all in the Flysky i6X manual.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
jgm219
Recruit

Post by jgm219 »

I had to look online for that. My Flysky set up only came with the Quickstart manual which was disappointing, but I got it squared away, now. Now working on other tweaks, but I think I can find some good guides on those. I do appreciate your help though!
General Jumbo01

No probs, that radio is crazy good for the price so get to know it well to max out its value :thumbup:

Return to “General Questions”