HL smoke units

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).

Postby Growbag » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:19 am

Morning all
Not sure this is in the right place, my apolagies if its not. Im trying to find a smoke unit that actually simulates smoke unlike the ones in Heng Long tanks. I'm trying to find one for a HL T90.

I have spoken to Dave from Forgebear tanks and it seems that as I have the latest board TK-6.0 there isnt a proportional smoke unit that has been tried and tested with this board. Very helpful guy by the way.

HL do make another smoke unit but its very hard trying to get information from anyone to ask if it would work with HL latest boards and if its proportional or not.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Growbag

Growbag
Recruit

Postby RenoirLV » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:23 am

Hi
One way is to add this to any smoker to make it proportional.
https://www.rctank.de/Smoke-unit-upgrad ... onal-smoke

I have one on my hl stock smoker. I'm happy.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
RenoirLV
Lance Corporal

Postby Growbag » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:30 am

Hi RenoirLV
Thanks for the prompt reply. Does you suggestion involve much soldering? It seems a good plan though.

Growbag
Recruit

Postby RenoirLV » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:48 am

There surely is soldering involved. Both the heater and the fan/pump motor wires go to the board, as does wires to at least one of the gearbox motors, to receive info about revs.
I was delighted to find that this way the noisy HL stock smoker became nearly perfect. It turns slowly at low revs and is not heard at all and at high revs the noise is cancelled out by the tank sounds. Perfect solution IMHO.

RenoirLV
Lance Corporal

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:17 am

You might give some thought to a Tarr unit. They're fully proportional, and a popular choice amongst RCTW's membership.
How one will match up with the TK 6.0 is, as yet, uncertain. My guess is that one it should work well with it. A bit more research is needed. :thumbup:
https://www.rctankelectronics.com/store ... _Unit.html
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby RenoirLV » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:38 am

A Tarr unit per se has the capacity to be proportional. It basically means it has separate wires to the heater and the fan. In most if not all cases proportional operation is ensured by the mfu or the plate I posted here. So any other smoker can be proportional. There are two components that are either fed by the same power source or two separate sources. If there is only one socket for the smoker with two pins I don't believe it is proportional.

RenoirLV
Lance Corporal

Postby jarndice » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:39 am

A word of warning, I use Tarr smokers whenever I am able BUT they do not work with Taigens newest Board and I would take advice if I were you before buying a Tarr smoker for your Heng Long 6.0 Board.
Perhaps Ian (Tankbear) or Dave (Forgebear) both of them being dealers who sell Tarr smokers would have information ?

jarndice
Major

Postby Growbag » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:48 am

Hi Jarndice
I spoke to Dave yesterday and he advised me that it wasnt a good idea as the board is new. Its a TK-6.0.

Andrew from Haya Ltd has advised me that Heng Long sell a smoker thats proportional and its on their site but im not prepared to buy and try to fit anything unless im sure. I need to know if its plug and play or a soldering job.

If anyone could let me know if there is a way round it id be gratefull.

Growbag
Recruit

Postby jarndice » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:25 am

GB if it is any consolation a lot of us gave up on smokers for many years simply because they either did not work or failed within weeks of buying the Tank,
Life goes on without a smoker :haha:

jarndice
Major

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:39 am

My experiences with the smoke generators:

https://radindustries.wordpress.com/201 ... enerators/

I have to update the entry anway. Now I have the V3 versions fully working. Heaps of smoke!
EDIT: I will update the entry with proportional smoke too.
Last edited by Rad_Schuhart on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby General Jumbo01 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:49 am

I have a HL proportional smoker factory fitted to a V6 board and though you can hear it reving away with the throttle control it hasn't produced a single whiff of smoke. Nothing changes! :(
General Jumbo01
Sergeant

Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Postby RenoirLV » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:14 pm

General Jumbo01 wrote:I have a HL proportional smoker factory fitted to a V6 board and though you can hear it reving away with the throttle control it hasn't produced a single whiff of smoke. Nothing changes! :(
Do you have any pics of it. I'm curious

RenoirLV
Lance Corporal

Postby General Jumbo01 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:15 pm

Happy to help but what do you want a photo of? The tank body is the same as earlier models except that all the hatches operate. The v6 mfu is similar in appearance to the v5.3 but with a gold label and more sockets. The smoker looks the same - the proportional speed of the smoker being controlled by the mfu.

The mfu functions, however, are vastly improved, the driving and control options of the model compare well with models l own costing 5 times as much!
General Jumbo01
Sergeant

Postby RenoirLV » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:32 pm

Thanks for your willingness. I wondered if the smoker was different. You answered it. I think I've seen all other items concerned.

RenoirLV
Lance Corporal

Postby percy1510 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:31 pm

I have a hi tiger with the new v6 board. I modded the smoke unit by swapping the noisy pump with a computer fan as detailed on another thread on this site. What I have noticed is that the fan speeds up or slows down with the throttle so fan is at its fasted when the throttle is high. Does that mean that the smoker on a v6 board is proportional ?

percy1510
Corporal

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:53 pm

percy1510 wrote:I have a hi tiger with the new v6 board. I modded the smoke unit by swapping the noisy pump with a computer fan as detailed on another thread on this site. What I have noticed is that the fan speeds up or slows down with the throttle so fan is at its fasted when the throttle is high. Does that mean that the smoker on a v6 board is proportional ?

That's generally what proportional means, Percy.
With some of Tarr units, proportionality comes from having the units wired to the motors. The smoke output would then increase, or decrease, with revs on the motors, occasioned- in turn- by movements of the throttle. :)
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby percy1510 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:35 am

So the new hi v6 tanks come as standard with proportional smoke

percy1510
Corporal

Postby General Jumbo01 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:52 am

Yes, plus a LOT more! Light controls, hull recoil variations, etc etc.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
General Jumbo01
Sergeant

Postby Sherman65 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:11 am

I throw the stock units away. I gave up on TARR. I installed a G.I. Tank Smoker, Scarlett that I got from Dave at Forgebear UK. Works amazingly well, and is proportional. I also Baroness 2 model in my Taigen Sherman, bought on Ebay. Almost 2 years now, still going strong.

Sherman65
Recruit

Postby General Jumbo01 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:09 am

Quick clarification re HL v6 mfu and smoker. There are two power leads from the mfu to the heater and another two leads to the pump motor. The pump motor speed is the 'proportional' component. This means that as you accelerate the pump speeds up (and still doesn't smoke because HL smokers are useless! IMHO.) :)
General Jumbo01
Sergeant

Next

Return to General Questions