M4A3 75mm with a muzzle break?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
BamaCoop
Recruit

M4A3 75mm with a muzzle break?

Post by BamaCoop »

I am trying to recreate a tank that a great uncle was in as a loader. He retold stories to his daughter who wrote it down. He said (several times) it was a M4A3 75mm and he had a drawing that I am trying to get ahold of to scan. It has a muzzle break on it. I thought only “Easy 8s” had breaks and they were 76mm. So my questions are;
75mm, is that true? I would think he’d know but things get miscommunicated sometimes.
If so, where can I get a muzzle break for Taigen 75mm?
Or could I get one for a 76mm and modify it?

Help is appreciated. I love history but tank stuff is so awesome!!!!!
Tank was named Francis btw.

Just discovered that this was retold later in life. Could be he added break for artistic reasons or two tanks were “merged”.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: M4A3 75mm with a muzzle break?

Post by Tiger6 »

Sounds like 2 tanks merged.

75mm tanks never had a muzzle break. You might find very very early ones with a 'widget' on the end of the tube, but this is a counter weight fitted to allow an M2 75mm gun to be fitted in place of the (as of then) unavailable M3 weapon - very few, if any, saw active service.

Early 76mm tanks (which could have been either early M4A1's or M4A3's, and maybe early M4A3E8's?) did not have the muzzle break, but would have be supplied with the necessary screw thread and a protective cover so that they could be fitted once available.

I could bore you more, but I'd recommend spending an hour or 3 diving through this website instead http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/index.html
BamaCoop
Recruit

Post by BamaCoop »

You are not boring me. I’m a history teacher. I love history especially World War II. Especially TANKS! I will definitely go visit that site. Everything I researched I think it was two tanks merged as well.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

One thing that just occurred to me, with the Sherman guns being metric designations, 75mm,76mm etc, how did the crews relate to the guns in metric? Or did they call them 3 inch ?
I get that military thinking can take over, but it would have been & still be a bit odd to have metrics mixed into Imperial.
how come for example was a aStuart gun always referred to as s 37mm not a 1 1/2” !!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

That's always struck me as odd, going back to the day the 75mm gun was first designed and used on American tanks, why did they pick that size and not three inch?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:That's always struck me as odd, going back to the day the 75mm gun was first designed and used on American tanks, why did they pick that size and not three inch?
The Americans had adopted the French quick firing 75mm gun. First produced in 1897, it rose to fame in the First World War as an outstanding field gun. I guess they continued with it when they required a tank gun, as tried and tested, efficient and reliable.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

silversurfer1947 wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:That's always struck me as odd, going back to the day the 75mm gun was first designed and used on American tanks, why did they pick that size and not three inch?
The Americans had adopted the French quick firing 75mm gun. First produced in 1897, it rose to fame in the First World War as an outstanding field gun. I guess they continued with it when they required a tank gun, as tried and tested, efficient and reliable.
Oh, that's interesting to find out, it makes perfect sense. Thank you :thumbup:

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

From what I can gather, the 76mm isn't 76 at all, but 76.2mm, which is 3 inch. Yet called 76.

Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

They called it the 76mm to differentiate with the 3" anti-tank gun that was already in service (on the M10 as well as towed). While the projectile was the same, the '76mm' shell had a larger propellant charge than the 3" and so the ammuntion was incompatible.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

BamaCoop wrote:You are not boring me. I’m a history teacher. I love history especially World War II. Especially TANKS! I will definitely go visit that site. Everything I researched I think it was two tanks merged as well.

From a technical point of view, Bama, it was a muzzle brake. A muzzle break ,in action, would be most unfortunate. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Questions”