Need a answer

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Need a answer

Post by Max-U52 »

You may be right, Roy, and it may not help at all, but we'll never know unless someone tries it. Personally, I like Jofaur's aluminum plate the best. Well, next to my solution, which is to simply go back to a plastic turret. The top is so much lighter it makes taking it off for battery changes a lot easier for me without all that extra weight.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:You may be right, Roy, and it may not help at all, but we'll never know unless someone tries it. Personally, I like Jofaur's aluminum plate the best. Well, next to my solution, which is to simply go back to a plastic turret. The top is so much lighter it makes taking it off for battery changes a lot easier for me without all that extra weight.
Sensible, as ever, Gary. :) I guess if the all-metal turret sat atop the Mato all-metal upper hull, there would be sufficient rigidity.
Then, however, we begin to run into the same problems the Krupp/Henschel/Porsche
ran into with weight outstripping transmission and drive (engine) capacity. (For 'drive', in RC terms, I mean electric motors and the amount of amps the controller/MFU is capable of feeding into them, before breakdowns, or meltdowns, begin.) :)
Then again, as has often been pointed out, it's much easier to modify PS and ABS parts than pot-metal.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
Max-U52 wrote:I wonder if the brace from the King Tiger could be adapted?
For the benefit of those who might be unfamiliar with Taigen's KT support brace, Gary, here it is:
Taigen KT upper hull support bracket.jpeg
Given the length of the KT, and its inherent twisty nature, I'm not sure how useful this bracket is in terms of damping torsional movement down, or of supporting the weight of the metal Turret (which this one of mine was supplied with). Whether it would beef up a metal turreted Tiger 1, or not, is unknown. Even when successful adapted for it, it might not be very effective. :think:
l never considered that narrow curved aluminium structure to be anything more than a means of keeping the wires from becoming minced in the turret gears. If you look at my Torro KT review thread l used a fair bit of bracing plates to stiffen the top deck.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “General Questions”