Need a answer

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).

Postby Ragnar » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:56 am

found a broken wire though it seemed to make no difference as to the running of my Taigen Tiger one mid, have resodered it still with no difference that I can tell.
Can Anyone tell me if they recognize this small plug with the red & black wires and it’s for?
Attachments
11016C47-DEA1-4D68-ABAD-CE1E542CD4D2.jpeg
Ragnar
Corporal

Postby Von Mooflesaaa » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:07 am

I had the same issues. I thought that wire was for the barrel recoil?

Von Mooflesaaa
Recruit

Postby Ragnar » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:30 am

It very well may be as i’m having issues with barrel recoil not working. Was actually hoping this would have solve the problem but will need to remove the turret and recheck the actuating wire and the servo as it’s still not working.
Ragnar
Corporal

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:58 am

That connector supplies power to the airsoft recoil unit from the main switch. It should look like this:
Tiger 1 barrel recoil wiring.jpeg
Taigen Tiger 1- early production- with barrel recoil fitted

This is actually an early production Taigen Tiger 1, to which I added the accessory metal turret with servo barrel recoil (normally fitted only to their mid-production models).
There should be an adaptive harness (from the switch and battery) which plugs into the motherboard main power socket, a strand of which then links to the red/black plug from the airsoft gun. Without it, the barrel recoil won't work, as it won't have a source of juice.
Hope this helps.
Try not to be distracted by the fact that the board here is an IBU2-
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:54 am

I should have mentioned that the Taigen turret fitted with the Airsoft Barrel Recoil System is now also available for Early production models. When I had an interest in it, it was only available for mid-production models.
This is the metal turret version:
https://www.taigentanks.com/taigen-part ... /tag120702
In retrospect, I would have bought the plastic version with ABRS, as the metal one is far too heavy for the plastic upper hull, in my opinion. Furthermore, adapting the plastic turret is much easier than faffing with the metal one.
Wiring instructions were provided with the kit. I have them somewhere. :think:
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:53 am

I see you have the mid-production model there with the latest V3 control system. Your tank should have the revised switch wiring that connects to the plug that's puzzling you.
Here's a snippet from the install sheet for the Airsoft Servo Barrel Recoil turret. This is illustrated with an earlier motherboard, but the same connection principles apply (click on pic to enlarge it):
Taigen Airsoft Recoil Turret install 2.jpeg
Taigen Airsoft Servo Barrel Recoil wiring

Well, there's an answer for you- I just hope it's the right one. :D
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby Ragnar » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:59 pm

Thx 43rd RR for the clarification. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hopefully I will finally get this squared away and like you I’ve noticed the weakness in the upper hull ,the front portion under the main gun flex’s somewhat.
Ragnar
Corporal

Postby Chrizh » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:16 pm

Hi guys first post, hope this is ok to ask here as I think I have the same/similar problem. In a nutshell, when I first removed the top half to gain access, I placed it to one side with the cables connected still. Anyway it fell away and tugged one of the wires out. I looked for a few minutes trying to find where it plugged back in but couldn't see where. The model I have is the Panzer IV I bought from Nitrotek.

https://www.nitrotek.co.uk/taigen-hand- ... 24ghz.html

I ran it with it unplugged anyway and it seemed ok however I think I should have recoil but it doesn't work at moment, and I'm wondering if it's that wire/plug?

Connection Box:
20190918_002741_resized_1.jpg

Plug:
20190918_201340.jpg

View From Underside of Top Section:
20190918_201359.jpg

Chrizh
Recruit

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:51 pm

Chrizh wrote:Hi guys first post, hope this is ok to ask here as I think I have the same/similar problem. In a nutshell, when I first removed the top half to gain access, I placed it to one side with the cables connected still. Anyway it fell away and tugged one of the wires out. I looked for a few minutes trying to find where it plugged back in but couldn't see where. The model I have is the Panzer IV I bought from Nitrotek.

https://www.nitrotek.co.uk/taigen-hand- ... 24ghz.html

I ran it with it unplugged anyway and it seemed ok however I think I should have recoil but it doesn't work at moment, and I'm wondering if it's that wire/plug?

Connection Box:
The attachment 20190918_002741_resized_1.jpg is no longer available

Plug:

View From Underside of Top Section:

I presume that your Taigen Panzer IV is an IR model, and not Airsoft, and so it won't have the same wiring connectors as those mentioned above. Barrel recoil on Airsoft models is unique to Taigen's Tiger 1, and doesn't appear (yet) on any other tanks. IR tanks do, however, have a recoil module, and later ones offer the 360 deg turret rotation feature (via slip ring adaptor)
Now that white/orange connector comes from the 360 deg slip ring, and should connect to the 8 pin daughter board, (Hull connector) or possibly the 5 pin connector on the MFU. I forget which precisely.
Wiring diagrams can be found at this site (scroll down for the wiring diags.):
https://www.taigentanks.com/taigen-user-manuals/
Taigen 360 deg kit.jpg
Taigen slip ring wiring for 360 deg turrets

For this pic below, click to ENLARGE it. :)
I only have the wiring for the Airsoft slip ring, but it's almost the same for the IR version you have.
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby Max-U52 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:53 pm

Chrizh, your tank does not have barrel recoil. Now before Shaun yells at you go to the "Introduce Yourself" board and make a little post. Just the essentials is cool, where are you, what tanks do you already have, and anything else you want to ad. There's a lot of great guys here and a lot of great info, so you should find someone with the same tank that may be able to help. And welcome aboard.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Postby Max-U52 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:55 pm

Roy, if you checked the link he gave it's a BB tank. They seem to play that down, and it doesn't say airsoft anywhere I could find, but they do say BB tank.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Postby Max-U52 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:01 pm

Chrizh, that plug is the trigger switch, and goes on the two left-most pins next to the three pin plug for the volume control. I know, that plug is made for a five pin plug, but you just use the two pins closest to the three pin from the volume control. I have some special plugs that Erik sent me, PM your address and I'll send you one. It has a five pin on one end for the MFU and a two pin with a short wire and your two pin plug will plug in there. As for the other end of the wire and where it goes, it eventually gets to the trigger switch on the back of the airsoft unit.

You probably don't have track recoil or cannon sound when you fire it, right?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Max-U52 wrote:Roy, if you checked the link he gave it's a BB tank. They seem to play that down, and it doesn't say airsoft anywhere I could find, but they do say BB tank.

:D I didn't click on the Nitrotek link, Gary, as it's the equivalent of touching a retail leper- in RCTW terms ;) But yes, I twigged that the wiring issue came from the 360 slip ring it has on board, and not the BB unit.
This model could only have track recoil not barrel recoil, as AIrsoft Barrel recoil only appears on the Tiger, as I stated.
No doubt Shaun will chime in with timely reminder to newbies to say why (and how) they come to be interested in Apples, before raiding the orchard. :D
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby Max-U52 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:11 pm

And hey, Highlander, I also put the airsoft Barrel recoil on my Tiger 1 early, but I use the plastic turret. Once they're painted I can't tell the difference anyway but that metal turret will definitely make itself known when the plastic upper hull starts to give way. I noticed that they added a special brace in the king tigers for just that reason.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:19 pm

Max-U52 wrote:Chrizh, that plug is the trigger switch, and goes on the two left-most pins next to the three pin plug for the volume control. I know, that plug is made for a five pin plug, but you just use the two pins closest to the three pin from the volume control. I have some special plugs that Erik sent me, PM your address and I'll send you one. It has a five pin on one end for the MFU and a two pin with a short wire and your two pin plug will plug in there. As for the other end of the wire and where it goes, it eventually gets to the trigger switch on the back of the airsoft unit.

If you look at 'Step 6' of the Airsoft wiring for 360 deg turret I posted, Gary, and Chrizh, you'll see that the white/orange connector goes into the 5 pin terminal on the Motherboard. :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:27 pm

Max-U52 wrote:And hey, Highlander, I also put the airsoft Barrel recoil on my Tiger 1 early, but I use the plastic turret. Once they're painted I can't tell the difference anyway but that metal turret will definitely make itself known when the plastic upper hull starts to give way. I noticed that they added a special brace in the king tigers for just that reason.

Hi, Gary. Yes, well I bonded a whole sheet of 1.5mm plasticard to the roof of the upper hull to give it extra strength. It was tiresome task cutting out all the holes, and required some precise cuts... but the extra layer has certainly beefed it up a bit. :thumbup: The Tiger sag is a thing of the past. :thumbup:
Pssss... :shh: I also have a Tamiya Tiger full-option kit lurking in my 'To do' room. (Formerly a bedroom :/ ) :D
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby Max-U52 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:52 pm

43rdRecceReg wrote:
If you look at 'Step 6' of the Airsoft wiring for 360 deg turret I posted, Gary, and Chrizh, you'll see that the white/orange connector goes into the 5 pin terminal on the Motherboard. :thumbup:

Right, you put the two pin plug on the two left-most pins in the five pin socket, or he PMs me and I'll send one of these. It plugs securely into the five pin, and it's a lot easier to connect the two pin to the little socket, instead of jamming it into the five pin.

Max-U52
Lieutenant

Postby Ragnar » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:53 am

Max-U52 wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:

Right, you put the two pin plug on the two left-most pins in the five pin socket, or he PMs me and I'll send one of these. It plugs securely into the five pin, and it's a lot easier to connect the two pin to the little socket, instead of jamming it into the five pin.

43rd RR
It would be great if you’d post a picture of the inside of the upper hull you reinforced the next time you chance to open it up , like to see how you made your cuts and fitted the plastic sheet.

Larry
Ragnar
Corporal

Postby Chrizh » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:29 am

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated and very informative. I see now as well, there is a difference between barrel and track recoil which I wasn't quite aware of at first.

I will go introduce myself!

Max-U52 wrote:Chrizh, that plug is the trigger switch, and goes on the two left-most pins next to the three pin plug for the volume control. I know, that plug is made for a five pin plug, but you just use the two pins closest to the three pin from the volume control. I have some special plugs that Erik sent me, PM your address and I'll send you one. It has a five pin on one end for the MFU and a two pin with a short wire and your two pin plug will plug in there. As for the other end of the wire and where it goes, it eventually gets to the trigger switch on the back of the airsoft unit.

That would be great! Thanks. However, I'm getting a weird error trying to PM you!
20190919_052853.jpg

Chrizh
Recruit

Postby Max-U52 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:48 pm

I just sent you a PM so hopefully you'll be able to reply.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Next

Return to General Questions