servo wires

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
percy1510
Corporal

servo wires

Post by percy1510 »

Hi guys
does anybody have an understanding of how a servo works?
They have 3 wires pos, neg and signal. Pretty obvious what the pos and neg wires are for but I was thinking about the middle wire, the signal wire. my thought is that if sending an electrical pulse down the signal wire causes the servo to move then it would be possible to connect a servo to any Heng Long board? All you would need to do is connect the pos and neg to wires to the power and then the signal wire to something like the trigger wire for the bb and hey presto a servo that moves when the gun is fired so potentially a servo recoil on any Heng Long board with no aftermarket parts??

I am probably completely wrong as no one has come up with this before and I don't really know how a servo works but its an idea
What are your thoughts?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: servo wires

Post by Max-U52 »

For Servo recoil you have to give the servo two commands, one to recoil and one to return to battery. A Servo will only do exactly what you tell it to, that's why they have that little board in the airsoft recoil turrets. That little board first tells the servo to retract and then it tells it to return to battery.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I would point out that the signal wire is NOT the middle one. It is either the white one or the yellow one, depending on the colour combination used by your servo.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

For every Servo cable that I've ever seen, the middle wire is positive.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

thanks for the input gents. So my theory is that a servo connected with the pos and neg wires to give it power. Then a pulse down the signal wire would make the servo move in one direction. If you were going to use this as a recoil mechanism then maybe a spring could be used to return the servo to its start position?
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello :D
Principe finctionnement servo
https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servomoteur
Nrmalisation selon marques
IMG_5475.JPG
IMG_5475.JPG (48.07 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

That is a useful table which is now on my Favourites list, Thank you.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

There are servos and servos....

The type typically found in our budget tanks and trucks are no more than small motors that drive a set of reduction gears before they mesh with a spur type gear, be it a turret ring, an elevation motion etc. You can, at best, control the speed and direction of travel. This requires just two power wires.

A full hobby spec servo works very differently. The small gear on the top of the servo can travel both clock and counter clockwise over a limited sweep of, typically, around 80-100 degrees. The two power wires power the servo motor and the signal wire tells the servo at what point as in degrees it should position the gear (which typically has a servo arm fitted to it). The servo will typically self center if controlled by a self centering stick control but if controlled by a rotary control it can be set and left in a desired position. It can also be controlled by a channel using a switch where two positions can be assigned. The control of the servo can customised by the transmitter settings too, depending on what is provided.

I know this is all old hat to experienced RC hobbyists but may be news and of help to those who have entered tanking via static modelling.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Well, this has been a learning experience for me. This is the first time I've ever seen Servo wires where the middle cable was negative, but then, my only RC experience is with tanks and trucks. Good stuff, guys. @)
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I'm thinking aloud here, but providing the position of the signal wire is standard, does it matter if the polarity of the servo motor wires are reversed? Presumably the servo will just reverse its direction, in which case you just use your transmitter settings to 'reverse' the servo back?

Otherwise simply unclip the two power cables from the servo plug and reverse them instead.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “General Questions”