?'s about adding Metal Road wheels to a HL KT

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
mutt71
Lance Corporal

?'s about adding Metal Road wheels to a HL KT

Post by mutt71 »

I just got a pro edition HL KT. It comes with metal drive sprockets and rear idlers and metal tracks. I purchased a set of metal road wheels for it. I have two questions.

1. Do I have to change the mounting arms from plastic to the metal ones that come with the metal road wheels and

2. If I do, can anyone share with me a how to?

Thanks in advance
HL Snow Leopard Pershing PRO
HL Panzer III X2
HL Panther G
HL Stug IIIG PRO X2
HL Sherman PRO 105
HL Panzer IV
HL King Tiger PRO X2
1/16 DUKW Hull
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: ?'s about adding Metal Road wheels to a HL KT

Post by Max-U52 »

Yes, you should definitely use the metal suspension arms. Did it also come with Springs? I can't do a video for you because I don't have a King Tiger, but it's not really that difficult. Just remember to keep track of where you take the Springs from if you didn't get Springs with the arms because sometimes the springs in the corners will be stronger than the rest. It's just a remove and replace so if you do them one at a time and take your time it shouldn't be a problem for you. If you have specific questions it will help a lot if you have photos. There are a lot of guys here that have that tank so maybe one of them has photos from a build or something. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
mutt71
Lance Corporal

Post by mutt71 »

Thank you very much for your reply. It is very helpful. There were no springs that came with the Road wheels. I will heed your advice and replace the plastic suspension arms with the metal ones.
Again, I really appreciate you advice.
Jack
HL Snow Leopard Pershing PRO
HL Panzer III X2
HL Panther G
HL Stug IIIG PRO X2
HL Sherman PRO 105
HL Panzer IV
HL King Tiger PRO X2
1/16 DUKW Hull
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Obviously make sure you get the suspension arms specific for replacement on a Heng Long (not so easy to find).
The screws that are holding the plastic wheels on the plastic suspension arms should have a self tapping thread.
I'm hoping you received some screws (wheel axles) with your new wheels. But possibly not, because the new metal suspension arms may require either a machine screw end, or just a plain smooth shaft to be held with a grub screw (you Americans sometimes call them set screws, either way, they're a headless screw), to hold the wheels to the new arms. The latter wheel fixings are more likely.
As for the springs, the ones that come with the tank are usually all the same strength, and unless you are intending to raise the weight of the tank hull, they will still be ok as the metal wheels don't add to the weight on those springs (they are unsprung weight).
Now, that being said, you would benefit from stronger springs on the first and last suspension arms only (both sides) to improve running. This can be achieved by purchasing a set of stronger springs and only using four on those end wheels, or you can "clock" just those four original springs.
Clocking; when you remove your existing suspension arms, you will see a round slot with a small hole that retains the spring. Find a drill bit the same size as that little hole, and drill a new hole about 2.5 to 3mm from the existing hole in an anti clockwise direction (I'm sure it's that direction, been a while since I last did this). And that will stiffen up those arms to take the drive forces more adequately.
Regards.
Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Just to add to Micks useful entry,
Grub Screws/Set Screws come in two types of base, Cone shaped and Flat, Go for the Flat based Set Screw because it covers a greater area and is less prone to slipping on a shaft.
They also come in a choice of lengths, I would avoid the short and go for something like 6mm.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

jarndice wrote:Just to add to Micks useful entry,
Grub Screws/Set Screws come in two types of base, Cone shaped and Flat, Go for the Flat based Set Screw because it covers a greater area and is less prone to slipping on a shaft.
They also come in a choice of lengths, I would avoid the short and go for something like 6mm.
Set screws come in three basic types, flat, cone, and cup. Which one to use depends on what it's going up against. If the set screw will mate to a flat surface you should use a flat or cup, and if it's going up against a round surface I prefer a cone. The point tends to dig into the round surface and stop it from moving.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Thank you Shaun :thumbup:
I have a set of these arms somewhere to replace on one of my KT's :think:
I can't remember if they use grub screw, but if they do, they will come supplied with grub screws, I'll try and find them.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Obviously make sure you get the suspension arms specific for replacement on a Heng Long (not so easy to find). .
The OP said at the beginning that he has metal suspension arms which came with the road Wheels.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Max-U52 wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:Obviously make sure you get the suspension arms specific for replacement on a Heng Long (not so easy to find). .
The OP said at the beginning that he has metal suspension arms which came with the road Wheels.
Oh yeah, oops :{
Just hope they are the right ones supplied then ;)

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

In my experience a Hard steel tipped Cone shaped Set Screw butting against a Hard steel shaft is more likely to slip than a flat steel based set screw on a steel shaft.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Questions”