Have a turret conundrum !

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Ragnar
Corporal

Have a turret conundrum !

Post by Ragnar »

Need to remove and flip my turret on my Taigen Metal Tiger 1 Mid to gain access to the recoil mechanism,problem I have is I have the mg42 pretty much permanently mounted on the hatch ring in order to not risk losing it on rough terrain.
So what’s the best way to protect the gun and mount from breaking when putting down pressure on the turret when unassembling/ reassembling the turret. Would a firm piece of foam Between the mg and the turret ,remember it’ll be upside down plus a foam pad under the whole turret protect it sufficiently.?
Last edited by Ragnar on Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
orntar
Private

Re: Have a turret conundrum !

Post by orntar »

I think some dense foam with a relief cut where the gun is would work just fine. You shouldn't really need that much pressure with a good screwdriver to remove the screws.
-Nathan
Taigen Tiger I mid
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I agree with "ORNTAR" about cutting out a hole in a block of Foam,
As to Handheld screwdrivers, In the main I avoid using them to avoid unnecessary pressure and to guarantee the screw will undo by using a "Draper Expert Offset Ratchet Screw and Socket Driver Set" Product Number 30781 (17 Pieces) it costs about £16/$18 and is worth every Penny/cent. :thumbup:
Just place the head of the attachment in the slot and turn the ratchet, No Downward force, No Pressure.
Imagine the Tool that you use to tighten down Cylinder head Bolts but only 10 cms long. :haha:
Last edited by jarndice on Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Just hold the turret in one hand and unscrew the ring screws with the other. That way you avoid touching the turret top. Remember to colour code your leads marking both plugs and sockets so that you can safely completely remove the turret.

A foam ring may do the job but your hand is better equiped!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I like a round cardboard tube about 4 inches in diameter and maybe 5 or 6 in Long. You can set the turret in there upside-down or right-side up and it will sit just fine and if it's upside down it won't mess up your mg42.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
orntar
Private

Post by orntar »

I have also used a roll of duct/duck tape.
-Nathan
Taigen Tiger I mid
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

Hope someone can identify this plug in the turret rotation gear for me,can it be unplugged or does it need to remaining the gear this is the metal Taigen Tiger 1 Mid with barrel recoil.
Need to know cuz I need to inspect the recoil mechanism.

Larry.
Attachments
B9C7AA1D-C406-48DC-84DC-51641CFADC52.jpeg
B9C7AA1D-C406-48DC-84DC-51641CFADC52.jpeg (78.94 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I assume you have a 360 degree Turret ring instead of the old 320 degree turret ring in which case that "Plug" is carrying all the cables from the Turret through the turret ring to the Daughter Board and it turns independently of the Turret ring thereby ensuring the cables don't get pulled out of the turret as it turns all the way around.
I would unplug it at the Daughter board.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

It should also just pull out from the turret ring (don’t pull from the wires or try and open it though!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

jimbo_wa wrote:It should also just pull out from the turret ring (don’t pull from the wires or try and open it though!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, it just slides out sideways from its circular slot in the ring, and it isn't meant to come apart.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “General Questions”