Drive sprocket issues.

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
gcav17
Recruit

Drive sprocket issues.

Post by gcav17 »

Hey guys. Sorry it's been so long. Work has been nuts! And I was ill most of the winter.
But, everytime I drive my HL Tiger the left drive sprocket wheel comes out. Everytime. I am constantly having to tighten it up. And now its lost so I gotta find one when I can. It does have metal tracks and sprockets.
Is there an easy fix that will not damage things? I am thinking loctite but I want the experience from the forum.
Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Drive sprocket issues.

Post by jarndice »

Hi,
You could try a new Hex Bolt But when I fit any bolt in my Armour I dip the thread in "LOCTITE 243", It is a thread lock that will hold the bolt in place but when needed it can be undone.
A Tip NEVER Over tighten nuts and Bolts on any 1/16 Armour because that will ruin the bolt/nut and destroy the thread.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Use PVA glue on the bolt, will retain it but still allow it to be removed with a bit of grunt
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
gcav17
Recruit

Post by gcav17 »

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I could do all that. I wouldn't want to strip the gearbox.

Schultzy
Private

Post by Schultzy »

Thanks for these responses. Helpful advice that requires me go back and re-tighten a few screws!....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

gcav17 wrote:the left drive sprocket wheel comes out. Everytime. I am constantly having to tighten it up. And now its lost so I gotta find one when I can.
Hi Gene, I was going to ask you a question about your sprocket, then while rereading what you said, I noticed you said it was "lost." And now I'm wondering what actual wheel you mean as a sprocket is quite large to miss?!
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
gcav17
Recruit

Post by gcav17 »

Oh it's just the bolt. Sorry. I did find replacement bolts and lock washers. And thread lock. But now my dang metal track is breaking. Lol. I may just buy a whole set of tracks just to make sure I always have enough.

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Ah, ok, thanks for verifying what you lost :thumbup:

So, on with my question that I originally wanted to ask.
When you put that sprocket on the gearbox shaft, and before you fit the screw, is the sprocket able to move back and forth on the shaft like it is a bit loose and not a tight fit on the shaft end D shape?

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
gcav17
Recruit

Post by gcav17 »

I dont believe so. But I can check. Is there a reason why I need to check?

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Someone else had a similar problem, and I was wondering what would cause the screw to actually come undone on yours and his, when 99.99% of the time this doesn't happen, I've got a few tanks and have never had this problem. And basically I was just curious whether it was due to an ill fitting sprocket on the shaft to actually cause the initial loosening of the screw.

Return to “General Questions”