Drive sprocket issues.

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Drive sprocket issues.

Post by jarndice »

It looks like both idlers are running on bent shafts. Correcting those two problems would be a start. I would certainly agree with Mick about fitting Gearbox output Shaft Bearings and that should go a long way to resolving the drive end of your Tank,
I would expect the Henntec adjuster to help sort out the other end,
You can then work on the wheel alighnment ,
Don't be tempted to try and fix all the problems at once,
Work out each problem and fix it before moving on to the next one.
There is a tendency by some Tiger 1 operators to over tighten the Metal Tracks making then run too tight and ending up looking like a T34 !!!,
Using the Henntec Adjuster loosen the track to the point that the track as it comes off of the sprocket it goes over the first and second pair of wheels and just barely touches down on the third pair.
That will take a lot of pressure off of the Idler which might well be the cause of the idler shaft being bent.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

During the war the Germans had a cool system for achieving proper track tension. You should be able to fit your hand sideways between the track and the top of the first road wheel. I use a little 1/16 scale guy and make his hand fit there.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
gcav17
Recruit

Post by gcav17 »

Any body got link for the drive shaft bearings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Whoa young fella, First of all you will need to know the outside diameter of your gearbox output shafts because Heng Long and Taigens gearboxes have different sizes within the range that they make,
Knowing the gearbox number would help and is it a nylon or a pot metal (Grey Coloured) or a steel (Black Metal) gearbox ?
You are in the USA so IMEX in Florida will be a good source and if you talk to Erik at IMEX he will help you identify which output shaft bearings you need,
In Europe there is Dave at
http://www.forgebeartanks.com
and Dom at
http://www.rctank.de
both are top dealers, Both Dave and Dom export to the USA and are recognised by many American and Canadian members of this Forum as top vendors.
Do remember when purchasing from a dealer in the European Union that they will charge Value Added Tax (VAT) which is 19% so remind the dealer you are in the USA and not liable for the tax,
That saving alone is equal to the cost of the postage so its well worth telling the dealer.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

With regards to the idler axles/screws, they may be bent like Mr jarndice says, or they may have been fitted at the factory out of square, I haven't experienced a bent one yet, but have had them fitted out of square.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
gcav17
Recruit

Post by gcav17 »

Ya know. With the right side idler. That was my original problem when new. Once I got it repaired it was fine. But I notice it seems out of sorts but then again it never jumps the teeth and nearly detrack like the other side. Maybe that extra play helps with that? I don't know but it seems maybe plausible?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Return to “General Questions”