Barrel recoil sticking

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Ragnar
Corporal

Barrel recoil sticking

Post by Ragnar »

Noticed the gun barrel on my Taigen Tiger 1 mid metal edition sticking after recoiling and needing to be pulled out manually every once in a while, Is it recommended to put a drop of oil in where there barrel slides back to keep this function working smoothly?
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: Barrel recoil sticking

Post by General Jumbo01 »

It may help but only if that's where it's sticking and it will mark the paint. Best to open the turret and find out where it's sticking and why.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Might be the microswitch sticking, like was said the best solution is to take the turret apart, fire the gun and see what is causing the jam.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

If it is like my previous Taigen airsoft recoil unit the barrel is hooked to the servo arm by a long wire. Open things up to gain access and check to see if that wire is dragging on anything or it may need to be bent a little to clear it’s path of movement. Good luck.
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

Thanks guys
If it keeps up will look into it this weekend, I had noticed a long wire which was in the spare parts bag and my 1st thought was it was for the recoil servo. Prolly won’t need it but nice they included a spare non the less.
I had bumped the barrel against my desk during a turn and think that may have something to do with it cuz it was working perfectly befor that.
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

The wire needs to be straight. If you crashed the barrel into something chances are you bent the wire and then it doesn't work well.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Well, even though you neglected to tell us that little nugget of information, you will definitely have to strip the turret down. Always best to tell all from the start, no matter how embarrassing it could be.
As a side, using oil, especially thin oils on plastic or painted parts, even bare aluminium can be detrimental to the smooth running of the barrel. It may be fine at the start, but can cause binding.
Usually petroleum jelly works better, but can be a little thick for tight places. As for your Taigen recoil mechanism, being nylon, it shouldn't need any lube, just keep it clean and dry.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Oh, and as for "if it keeps up," best not to use the recoil mechanism at all till after you've investigated, just in case.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

A side note related to this subject. I got tired of the airsoft units malfunctioning so I replaced everything with the “Asia-Tam” Taigen recoil/elevation unit and added a flash unit for some more enjoyable visuals during the firing of the main gun. Erik at IMEX set me up with all the parts required.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Jimster wrote:A side note related to this subject. I got tired of the airsoft units malfunctioning so I replaced everything with the “Asia-Tam” Taigen recoil/elevation unit and added a flash unit for some more enjoyable visuals during the firing of the main gun. Erik at IMEX set me up with all the parts required.
Is that the same unit that's in the Taigen/Torro IR tanks?

Return to “General Questions”