Lipo battery

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Lipo battery

Post by ronnie42 »

Have a dead cell in an 11.1 v 3c battery . Going to try and turn it into a 7.4v 2c battery for the TAMIYA is it an easy fix?
photos - 1 (6).jpg
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: Lipo battery

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Easy if you know how and have the skills needed. It worries me a little that you have asked. You'll need a 2 cell balance lead too.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Might be easier and much safer to get a new battery or attempt to restore the dead cell by charging the battery in nimh mode for a quick few minutes and then attempt to balance charge in lipo mode. That's what I do if I have a dead lipo battery cell. :wave:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

How did you tell it was dead?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

RenoirLV wrote:How did you tell it was dead?

:/
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

This is just my two cents, but I say throw the damn thing away and buy a new one. Do you really want to take a chance on burning down your house so you can save two or three quid? With the price of lipos these days I really can't see any reason to be messing around with a battery with a dead cell. Go to China hobby line, you'll have to Google them, and you'll find just about every lipo you can imagine at ridiculously low prices.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

And my two pence worth. . . .

Never throw batteries away, always recycle them, take them to your local recycling centre, or in store battery recycling bin, most supermarkets have them :thumbup:

Thank you.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

RenoirLV wrote:How did you tell it was dead?

It wouldn't take a charge or low voltage .... Google lipo battery rescue and other will explain the procedure. Taking them apart and removing the dead cell can be challenging and dangerous. :crazy:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

If a cell does not take a charge then I assume it is with a balance charger. If it is the case you could try to use a dumb charger which will push volts inside no matter what. Balance chargers are so smart they can't charge cells below 3.sth volts.

Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

HobbyKing has a 3S 2200 mah lipo bat for $11, so why would you take a chance goofing around with an old battery?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “General Questions”