Removing red LED

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Ragnar
Corporal

Removing red LED

Post by Ragnar »

Seems I’ve run across this subject but can’t remember the thread title, anyways would like to remove the LED in the mantle on my new Tiger , Beside not being prototypical it reflects down the entire length of the barrel and looks terrible and is driving me nuts.
My first thought was to simply push it back inside the turret and put wrapping a piece of black electrical tape around it .
Second thought was ....ask the experts. ;D
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Removing red LED

Post by Max-U52 »

I'd just clip the wire, but you can go as far as removing the entire LED. You have to remove the bottom of the turret for access.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Mine was glued in with space shuttle tile adhesive or something. I tore my led to shreds getting it out with needle nose pliers after I tried everything else. I replaced it with a direct fit coax machine gun from East Coast Armory.
Attachments
5255F5C5-9B3A-4B3A-96D8-B94635052C37.jpeg
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

Not looking forward to removing the turret and have no clue as which wire to cut,can I simply break the led and clean out the hole with a drill bit! as mentioned plan on replacing it with a co-axiol mg too.
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Ragnar wrote:Not looking forward to removing the turret and have no clue as which wire to cut,can I simply break the led and clean out the hole with a drill bit! as mentioned plan on replacing it with a co-axiol mg too.
You can just drill out the LED, and that should work, but it's not a bad idea to get familiar with the inside of that turret. I think you only got three screws that hold the turret ring on and then the turret lifts off and there should be four screws that hold the bottom of the turret in place. You will probably have to do this eventually, anyway, because Airsoft units do not last forever and eventually have to be replaced.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I’m afraid I would bugger up the face of the mantlet with my limited skill set. It’s no big deal removing the turret and will make everything easier. You’ll probably have to anyway to install a coax mg. Go for it!
Max, you beat me to it.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

With the turret off, simply find the two wires that attach to the back of the bulb and cut one. If that's too adventurous then simply use a little dab of filler and smooth over the bulb, then paint it to blend in.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Ragnar Hi,
The job is not difficult but there is more to it than has so far been described,
Unscrew the Turret Ring, (Three Screws)
Remove the Turret from the Tank body,
Disconnect the wires coming out of the Turret,
Depending upon the age and type of Tiger you have I would not expect more than two separate cables,
Three at the most,
Unscrew the three screws holding the base of the Turret,
You will see the main gun is resting on a large spring which is seated inside a raised plastic square,
As the spring will come out sooner or later I suggest you do it now and put it somewhere safe,
The led is held in place by Glue and with a bit of work it can be freed from inside the turret,
Drill into the Mantlet from the outside to locate the MG you will also need to drill into the area behind the Mantlet into the Turret to allow passage for the two wires of the MG,
Before you fit the MG I suggest you slide a length of Heat Shrink tube over the wires abutting the base of the MG body (About 2 CMs or 3/4Inch should be enough) heat the tube until it is tight around the wires now you are ready to thread the two wires into the hole in the mantlet guiding the wires into the hole you drilled into the turret,
The wires can be a bit of a faff to get hold of inside the turret but a length of stiff wire in an open loop should help you direct them out of the turret,
Now grip the ends of the wire but not too tightly and as you pull push the MG Gun Barrel into the Mantlet,Refit the Spring under the Main gun then making sure none of the wires are trapped inside the turret refit the turret base.
I suggest you apply a drop of glue on the inside of the mantlet to secure the co-axial mg.
I hope that helps.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

My main concern was the red glow shining down the length of the right side of the barrel on the 88mm main gun looking very un-natural,I took a fine nut driver with the intention of breaking the led if I had to but on pushing it into the Manlet the led bulb simply slide back inside the turret,obviously it was simply pressed in loosely as it took no pressure whatsoever to move it.
I now have a momentarily red glow within the turret when the main gun fires but no long a glow along the entire length of the barrel. I’m satisfied! :clap:
I will sometime in the near future delve into the turret interior and probably snip the wire mentioned.
Next project will be water slide decals which are already in hand followed by light weathering and a coat of dull coat to seal the paint.
Larry.
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Good for you! I never have that kind of good luck.

Return to “General Questions”