Removing red LED

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Ragnar
Corporal

Re: Removing red LED

Post by Ragnar »

After some digging found this thread again and after learning how to get the turret off and on snipped the wires on the red led.........DONT, realized too late if ya do you lose the sound from the main gun,now I guess I’ll have to buy another led install it and paint it black. :crazy:
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Take the two wires that were attached to the led and connect them together, hopefully with a bit of shrink tube or electrical tape to cover the splice.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

Max-U52 wrote:Take the two wires that were attached to the led and connect them together, hopefully with a bit of shrink tube or electrical tape to cover the splice.
That’ll work without causing a short?
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Ragnar wrote:
Max-U52 wrote:Take the two wires that were attached to the led and connect them together, hopefully with a bit of shrink tube or electrical tape to cover the splice.
That’ll work without causing a short?
In simple terms, in this case, the wires either side of the LED are just a continuation of the same polarity wire with the LED in the middle. They are only different colours to get the LED the correct way around. Positive to the source of the power.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

No, it won't cause a short. Mick explained it pretty well, we're just removing the LED from a circuit where it was wired in series. Once you connect the wires and fire the gun the juice that used to first light the LED and then went on to activate recoil is now just skipping the LED and going straight to the recoil circuit.

If you're that worried about it, reconnect the LED and wrap it in electrical tape and leave it tucked into the turret.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

I was pretty sure that was the case remembering from my Model Railroading days,just wish to clarify it was the same with RC tanks .....thanks guys.
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

The only thing to remember with LED's, is that they cause a voltage drop in the circuit, therefore anything in a circuit after an LED will get a slight voltage gain with the LED removed.
A small diode can be placed where the LED once was, but I don't think it will be necessary in this instance.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “General Questions”