Paint stripper for models

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Paint stripper for models

Post by jarndice »

Enamel Paint when applied over another paint often fails to be "Absorbed" into the previous layer, The enamel paint can then be peeled off by hand/finger nail giving you the opportunity to try the many helpful suggestions on this thread.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
bradpanzerman
Recruit

Post by bradpanzerman »

Eastern Front wrote:I believe that carburetor cleaner will remove it real fast too, not sure if it stains the plastic though..
It will eat Plastics and melt it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Don't know where you are, Scarecrow,, but Imex has the ZTZ-99 on sale right this minute for a buck and a half. It sounds like you're fast approaching a level of frustration that supports a $150 expenditure to maintain the sanity levels. At least that's what you can tell your wife. @) @)

They also have each individual part and sub-assemblies on aliexpress so you could get an entire upper hull and turret for $90, or just the turret skin for about $16 and just the upper for about $22. Seems to me there's a point where it's just better to replace the parts rather than go through all the giref of repairs. Think of what all those fumes are doing to you, man!!
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Post by X82d Pathfinder »

Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Yellow Can Version Only. The Blue Can won't get it done.
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

X82d Pathfinder wrote:Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Yellow Can Version Only. The Blue Can won't get it done.
Indications are that this is a US only product. It is listed on ebay.co.uk but from America, total cost including international shipping approx £24 a can.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Eastern Front wrote:Hmmmm, gets me to thinking, I have a parts washer, wonder if that will work? It uses dry cleaning solvent so......

Cheers!
You wash your "parts" with dry cleaning solvent 8O
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Two nations separated by a common language :haha: :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Scarecrow
Recruit

Post by Scarecrow »

Success !!

Bought some cheap brake fluid from ebay and its slowly, and I mean slowly, taking off even the enamel paint. So far, its been in there for two days now, no effect on the plastic! needs scrubbing but Ill tak ethat over watching my model turn to mush in front of my eyes!

Thanks for all your help. Hope to have a ZTZ to show later this year!

K
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Post by X82d Pathfinder »

Free advice: Don't use brake fluid if you plan on repainting, It's silicon based and the paint will not stick and it fish eyes.

-Dan
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Brake cleaner will get that off, and shouldn't harm the plastic :thumbup:
Failing that, wonder wipes or a cheaper equivalent are designed to remove silicon and silicon based products.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “General Questions”