Wiress transmitter for the RC Tank

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
NickyB65
Recruit

Wiress transmitter for the RC Tank

Post by NickyB65 »

Hello everyone,

Sorry if this is a dumb question or questions, but am new to the RC scence in general so a little guidance as always would be appreciated.

Looking forward to get my first tank, but there seems to be a lot of transmitters on the market, like 2.4Ghz spread spectrum types. Are these the norm now? Do crystals need to be changed so that if at a tank meet-up with other vehicles not to cause interference? I assume they might frequency hop to a 'free' band, is that correct?

Do owners have a general preference, like how many channels it can support? How about makes, I see Futuba seem pretty popular.

Lastly, does the receiver plug into say the TK40 board on the tank which then controls servo's or motors etc?

Again, thanks for any help,

Nick :)
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Wiress transmitter for the RC Tank

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Quick answers:

-2.4ghz are the norm nowadays. But one thing is hobby grade 2.4ghz (multiple brands) and other thing is propietary heng long 2.4ghz.
It basically means the tank will come with electronics and some "toylike" radio. If you want to use good electronics, then you can use any hobby grade radio.

-No crytals needed at all, and no interferences. Feel free to enjoy with your friends in the meetings with no worries at all.

-About the channels id say nowadays a minimum of 8ch is needed. But get one radio that supports SBUS (up to 16ch) or IBUS (up to 10)

-Whatever you do, never, ever, get a Futaba. Neanderthal techonolgy with the proudest price etiquette you can see. People uses them "because is what tamiya recommends, huehuehuehue it is written in the sacred bible. I mean on the instructions of the kit huehueuhe"

Sorry for the rant, I had to spit it, lol.

- And the receiver, receives, and tells the board what to do.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
NickyB65
Recruit

Post by NickyB65 »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Quick answers:

-2.4ghz are the norm nowadays. But one thing is hobby grade 2.4ghz (multiple brands) and other thing is propietary heng long 2.4ghz.
It basically means the tank will come with electronics and some "toylike" radio. If you want to use good electronics, then you can use any hobby grade radio.

-No crytals needed at all, and no interferences. Feel free to enjoy with your friends in the meetings with no worries at all.

-About the channels id say nowadays a minimum of 8ch is needed. But get one radio that supports SBUS (up to 16ch) or IBUS (up to 10)

-Whatever you do, never, ever, get a Futaba. Neanderthal techonolgy with the proudest price etiquette you can see. People uses them "because is what tamiya recommends, huehuehuehue it is written in the sacred bible. I mean on the instructions of the kit huehueuhe"

Thanks very much for the sound advice here, makes it a lot clearer, Nick :thumbup:

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Nick, It has been a few years since any new r/c Tank needed crystals,
They ceased when the changeover from 27 Mhz Analogue to 2.4 Ghz Digital arrived,
That meant that the days of similar crystal equipped tanks going crazy were over,
Digital means that the available frequencies are pretty much limitless,
Here comes the complication, Heng Long modern MFUs are 2.4 but the whole system is a closed one and unless you have access to an aftermarket "Dongle" you can only use the Heng Long Transceiver with your Tank BUT changing the Heng Long MFU to an IBU/Elmod/Clark control board thereby allowing an aftermarket Transmitter and receiver is a doddle in most cases,
The latest Taigen control board does allow the user to operate an aftermarket Transmitter but the aftermarket control boards are superior to the Taigen Board and you might as well change the lot
The major limitation in small tanks PZ 3/4/Sherman is the size of the replacement board and the need for space for the receiver,
Some replacement Boards are the same size as the original but some such as the IBU are bigger and are fine in a Tiger/Pershing /Challenger but you need to be pretty inventive to fit an IBU into a Panzer 4.
I would disagree with anyone saying modern 2.4 aftermarket boards were simply plug and play,
They all need a little more work but the work is minimal and easy.
The Receiver is in the Tank and receives all the signals from the MFU it then sends the information to the Transmitter on demand by the user (You),
I hope that answers the questions,
Don't for a moment think that your questions are dumb,
Do you really think we all knew this stuff without asking others ?
Of course not,
The dumb question is the one you don't ask that goes on to ruining your hobby.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Hey Nicky, you can run a Tamiya tank with a 4-channel radio but most guys prefer six or more. The FlySky I6 is a very popular radio. A couple of factors you should consider are whether or not you want to have a separate transmitter for each tank or if you want to run multiple tanks on one transmitter. If you're just going to have one transmitter get something good, like a FlySky I-10 or a Taranis that will have plenty of room for projects you do in the future, will run the simplest of Tanks as well as the most complicated, and is fairly easy to use. My I-10 has a help section that teaches me how to use the radio. I think that's pretty cool. But if budget is a consideration or you just don't think you need that much capability, six channels will do the job. A lot of guys like the FlySky I6 and the 9 x series is also rather popular.

Hope that helps.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
NickyB65
Recruit

Post by NickyB65 »

Max-U52 wrote:Hey Nicky, you can run a Tamiya tank with a 4-channel radio but most guys prefer six or more. The FlySky I6 is a very popular radio. A couple of factors you should consider are whether or not you want to have a separate transmitter for each tank or if you want to run multiple tanks on one transmitter. If you're just going to have one transmitter get something good, like a FlySky I-10 or a Taranis that will have plenty of room for projects you do in the future, will run the simplest of Tanks as well as the most complicated, and is fairly easy to use. My I-10 has a help section that teaches me how to use the radio. I think that's pretty cool. But if budget is a consideration or you just don't think you need that much capability, six channels will do the job. A lot of guys like the FlySky I6 and the 9 x series is also rather popular.

Hope that helps.
Thanks very much for the sound advice, will check the FlySky out. :thumbup:
NickyB65
Recruit

Post by NickyB65 »

jarndice wrote:Hi Nick, It has been a few years since any new r/c Tank needed crystals,
They ceased when the changeover from 27 Mhz Analogue to 2.4 Ghz Digital arrived,
That meant that the days of similar crystal equipped tanks going crazy were over,
Digital means that the available frequencies are pretty much limitless,
Here comes the complication, Heng Long modern MFUs are 2.4 but the whole system is a closed one and unless you have access to an aftermarket "Dongle" you can only use the Heng Long Transceiver with your Tank BUT changing the Heng Long MFU to an IBU/Elmod/Clark control board thereby allowing an aftermarket Transmitter and receiver is a doddle in most cases,
The latest Taigen control board does allow the user to operate an aftermarket Transmitter but the aftermarket control boards are superior to the Taigen Board and you might as well change the lot
The major limitation in small tanks PZ 3/4/Sherman is the size of the replacement board and the need for space for the receiver,
Some replacement Boards are the same size as the original but some such as the IBU are bigger and are fine in a Tiger/Pershing /Challenger but you need to be pretty inventive to fit an IBU into a Panzer 4.
I would disagree with anyone saying modern 2.4 aftermarket boards were simply plug and play,
They all need a little more work but the work is minimal and easy.
The Receiver is in the Tank and receives all the signals from the MFU it then sends the information to the Transmitter on demand by the user (You),
I hope that answers the questions,
Don't for a moment think that your questions are dumb,
Do you really think we all knew this stuff without asking others ?
Of course not,
The dumb question is the one you don't ask that goes on to ruining your hobby.
Hi jarndice, thanks for the excellent advice here, the forum is certainly helping me a lot. Cheers :thumbup:
NickyB65
Recruit

Post by NickyB65 »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Quick answers:

Thanks Rad, that helps clear that up for me, Nick :thumbup:
Schultzy
Private

Post by Schultzy »

Thanks for asking the questions as it’s been a great help to me too.

I found my old Futabq FF6 from my days of dabbling in RC aeroplanes whilst digging through the loft. Suffice to say, it was expensive then and useless now - not even worth trying to mod it to 2.4Ghz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello :D
I bounce on this excellent post,about radios,to ask a question ? ( silly :{ ? ) I own a FST6 2.4 ghz 6 channels,Flisky,I inted to use it for Tamiya,TK 22/24.0, Elmod ?what do you think,this radio,thank you in advance,for réponse :thumbup: good day :wave:

Return to “General Questions”