Blueprints for an AEC MK II?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Blueprints for an AEC MK II?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:crazy: My previous response, concerning the type of electronic controller package that could be used with an armoured car project, now looks a bit like a non sequitur. I thought I saw a query here about suitable controller systems...but, it appears, I must have been hallucinating. :/ I guess it must have come from another thread, or 'senior moment'. :lolno: In any event, the details are still valid, I think.

As for the dimensions, the basic ones can be found here. The detailed dimensions could be worked out from a scale blueprint, in conjunction with these. :|
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/g ... ed_Car.php
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I will say one thing about dimensions on that site, I noticed a mistake with the Matilda length as well as some other dimensions elsewhere. And there is no point checking the dimensions using Wikipedia, because either Wikipedia get their dimensions from the tank encyclopedia site, or the other way around, I've noticed the identical mistakes on both sites, so, if I was a teacher, I'd know one was cheating on the test.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:I will say one thing about dimensions on that site, I noticed a mistake with the Matilda length as well as some other dimensions elsewhere. And there is no point checking the dimensions using Wikipedia, because either Wikipedia get their dimensions from the tank encyclopedia site, or the other way around, I've noticed the identical mistakes on both sites, so, if I was a teacher, I'd know one was cheating on the test.
As long as the basic dimensions are pretty much correct, it doesn't matter a whole lot so long as the finer measurements are consistent within the model itself. Ideally, a visit to a museum with a tape measure
would produce the nerd-satisfying dimensions we'd like (Tamiya researchers too); but failing that, blueprints can be used in conjunction with photographs to get measurements that'll keep the various parts of the model in scale with one another.
No one wants a Tiger-sized turret sitting atop a Panzer IV, for instance- even if it would make an interesting hybrid, or Jarndice nightmare... 8O :lolno:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Just twigged how my MFU comment seemed like a non sequitur. It's because Spiky has a similar thread running concurrently.. :/ : His 'Anyone any ideas for a build' thread
Och well, maybe my senior moment was more like middle-aged. :shh:
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

I have serious doubts about using sites like Blueprints - their publically available images seem to have been scanned in from books or instruction sheets from various models, and I doubt the paid content is any better (honestly I wonder how they are still functioning, given the sheer volume of copyright infringement on display?).

Even in trying to knock up the basic space claim model for the other thread, I found inconsitancies between views in George Bradford's 'so called AFV Plans' :lolno: At least if you have the kit in your hands you won't have these problems - it might well be wrong when compared with the real thing, but at least you won't be scratching your head trying to reconcile 2D side and top views that simply do not line up...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Roy, the length of a Matilda tank is a pretty important "basic" dimension lol.
One example, on both sites it has the length in feet and inches, and also meters, but the conversion is well off, and it's a case of which ones correct.

My point is that one should double check online dimensions, but with the warning that the above mentioned sites can't be used to check one or the other.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
SpikyTheCommander
Private

Post by SpikyTheCommander »

Hi again,

Don't worry, the kit is on its way so hopefully using useless sites will not be necessary.
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Give me a shout when you get started on the CAD Spiky - assuming that you are using Fusion 360 I might have a few bits and pieces like the WPL motor and axles that might prove useful to you :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Tiger6 wrote:I have serious doubts about using sites like Blueprints - their publically available images seem to have been scanned in from books or instruction sheets from various models, and I doubt the paid content is any better (honestly I wonder how they are still functioning, given the sheer volume of copyright infringement on display?).

Even in trying to knock up the basic space claim model for the other thread, I found inconsitancies between views in George Bradford's 'so called AFV Plans' :lolno: At least if you have the kit in your hands you won't have these problems - it might well be wrong when compared with the real thing, but at least you won't be scratching your head trying to reconcile 2D side and top views that simply do not line up...
Interesting, but I often wonder where makers of RTR models, and kits in 1/35 get their dimensions from. Tamiya do send reps out, to get the vital statistics on armoured vehicles from Museums, and armour collections;
but what do the other players do? A Tamiya 1/35 model is a good sort of maquette/ artist's model for the bigger version because of the amount of research that went into it. I used their Cromwell, for instance for my Ludwig Cromwell build, but who's to say where other firms get their dimensions from?
Quite a lot of the blueprints on the Dutch site a produced by one man, it seems, Dr Saranga. That's a hell of a body of work for one man. Still, drawings can be had from official sources, such as the British Library, the IWM and so on, but I'm pretty sure he can't have accessed all of their stuff. However, the drawings I've used for the Cromwell, and Comet are pretty accurate, and so I find the resource very useful, if used with caution.
For my Comet build, I used a mix of dimensions and pics I took at the Munster Museum, and Bovington. The blueprints were useful reminders of components on various Marks of tank, as well as relative sizes. I also used pics from a reputable technical history.
Taking an average of all of these seems the best way to go, in my opinion.
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Taking an average of all of these seems the best way to go, in my opinion.
Always good to get more than one source, especially if that one source is George Bradford :thumbdown:

Also to add - anything by Hillary Doyle is as good as you are going to get :thumbup:

Return to “General Questions”