Anyone have any build ideas?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
SpikyTheCommander
Private

Anyone have any build ideas?

Post by SpikyTheCommander »

Hi all,

I have been wanting to do a 1/16 rc build for a while now, and after realising that maybe a Sherman firefly was too much for my amateur skills, and also my wallet, i am once again begging for suggestions. So does anyone have any ideas for a 1/16 rc build that is unique ( not another tiger or m4a3 that everyone else has ), not too expensive ( hopefully within £100-£250 ) as well as not being too challenging for an amateur?

I hope i am not asking of too much,

Regards,

Spiky.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Anyone have any build ideas?

Post by jarndice »

Hi, Slightly left field is the £150 WSN/TORRO M16 Halftrack,
It is begging for modifying and there is a very nice U-Tube Tutorial that I heartily recommend,
The hardest job in my opinion is converting the armoured windshield but it is doable with care.
Making working Doors and side and rear fold down panels is relatively easy and add a great deal to the overall look of the vehicle.
Peddinghaus offer a couple of different decal sheets and Elmod make a NOT cheap MFU that is specific to the M16 which is a simple job to replace the original.
And you don't see many modified ones :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi, I would recommend a late Stug III using the Heng Long model as a base. You can easily modify it with a late saukopf Mantlet and zimmerit from ATAK models. Also add side skirts, gun barrel and other details from Tank Modellbau. Also add brass rails on the rear deck with some stowage, maybe some tank rider figures. That’s how I started. It will fit your budget.

Regards, Louis
SpikyTheCommander
Private

Thanks for the replies. I guess i will do some more research and try and find something i like then, but if i can't, i don't mind a stug or a halftrack so they might be options.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Before you do your Google search, take a look here, they have a wealth of tank variations, and when you find the ones that appeal to you, then do your Google search for their pictures.

Tank Encyclopedia, the first online tank museum
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
SpikyTheCommander
Private

Ok thanks for the suggestion, looking now...
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

If you want cheap and unique, I'd maybe suggest looking at getting a 3D printer and learning a CAD tool like Autodesk Fusion 360.
Wheeled vehicles aren't a bad start point with all of the cheap WPL and JJRC axles currently available, and something slab sided like an AEC armoured car shouldn't be hard to do.
SpikyTheCommander
Private

I do have a 3D Printer but unfortunately autodesk is to expensive for me, and i don't have the time. I have been looking at M3 Halftrack's etc and other wheeled vehicles and like the look of them, but i don't know how to make them unique. Any suggestions?
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Fusion 360 is currently free for hobbists, PM if you need help getting it set up and learning (lots of videos on youtube as well) - if you can scratch build, you can model things in CAD.
SpikyTheCommander
Private

Oh ok, looks like i might attempt an aec then.

Thanks for the help,

Regards, Spiky

Return to “General Questions”