Would the Mato M4A1 work for a firefly?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
SpikyTheCommander
Private

Would the Mato M4A1 work for a firefly?

Post by SpikyTheCommander »

Hi all,

I was doing my normal research when i noticed that the Mato m4a1 was back on ebay. I am thinking of using this as a base for an IC Hybrid firefly, but does anybody know if i would be able to replace the turret with a different one modified with the 17 pounder etc?

Regards,

Spiky.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Would the Mato M4A1 work for a firefly?

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

The heng long turret fits into the Mato hull, as does the Mato turret fits the Heng Long hull, there's only about a millimetre in the difference.
But surely, if you're making a hybrid, cast at the front, the rear of the hull including the turret hole will be welded. You just need a matching welded hull and turret, like the Heng Long.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Is this what you're hoping to achieve?
Although this has a tamiya welded hull section, the tamiya hull has a larger turret hole, therefore, Heng Long or Mato turrets don't fit without modifications.

Firefly - RC Tank Warfare
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19394

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
SpikyTheCommander
Private

I am looking to achieve something like this: https://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=4373. Son of a gunner, does that mean i can get a turret like this one: https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p1 ... _Unit.html , and simply swap it for the current one on the mato? Also, if the hybrid version is a very challenging conversion, is there another type of firefly that i should attempt at making?
SpikyTheCommander
Private

Is there a way i can get a conversion kit for the firefly? I remember seeing it a few years ago but they seem to all have disappeared.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

That's like the one Frankie did in the link I posted. You would need the welded hull to achieve that.

Yes, that is the turret to get for a straight swap :thumbup:

Sorry, can't remember which has the slightly looser fitting out of the Mato or Heng Long turret, but it's negligible.

They're also selling these.
Heng Long 1:16 Scale RC Sherman Tank Upper Hull
https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p2 ... _Hull.html

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

SpikyTheCommander wrote:Is there a way i can get a conversion kit for the firefly? I remember seeing it a few years ago but they seem to all have disappeared.
What kit are you referring to?

SpikyTheCommander
Private

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
SpikyTheCommander wrote:Is there a way i can get a conversion kit for the firefly? I remember seeing it a few years ago but they seem to all have disappeared.
What kit are you referring to?
Something like this i think viewtopic.php?t=19429 , but it seems to be a VC firefly, not an IC, and far out of my budget.
Last edited by SpikyTheCommander on Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Ah, that was discontinued. But if you contact memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4432 by PM, he may have the odd one left to sell you direct.

SpikyTheCommander
Private

Oh ok, i don't really want the conversion kit anyway.

Do you reckon i could do something like this? https://warrenhudsonmodelling.blogspot. ... build.html , by just cutting the front off the Mato and replacing it with the heng long? I don't have any access to tamiya parts so this would be a cheaper option...

Return to “General Questions”