alu tape to protect nylon gearbox from dirt coming in?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
seb4
Private

alu tape to protect nylon gearbox from dirt coming in?

Post by seb4 »

I put strong yet flexible alu tape around my gearboxes to protect dirt from coming in.

The gearbox is the standard Heng Long with nylon gear wheels, motors are the Taigen 380 motors. The tank is a Heng Long Leopard 2a6.

My question is: the nylon gears will get hot when driving, the more so with the alu isolating it. Is it ok to put alu tape around them? My usage is about three hours hours a week, ratio slow speed driving/ high speed driving 60:40.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: alu tape to protect nylon gearbox from dirt coming in?

Post by General Jumbo01 »

The gearbox shouldn't get hot. The motors will warm but only if you unrealistically thrash them for more than 5 mins at a time but this won't damage the gears.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
seb4
Private

Post by seb4 »

General Jumbo01 wrote:The gearbox shouldn't get hot. The motors will warm but only if you unrealistically thrash them for more than 5 mins at a time but this won't damage the gears.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Thank you very much!
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

Be more concerned about grease being thrown around the interior of the hull.
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

With pot metal gears or plastic (Nylon) gears an application of any decent lubricant will ensure the good running of the gearboxes, regular cleaning with an application of "Isopropyl Alcohol"(Acrylic Thinners) will keep the gears clean and negates the need for tape or any other protection.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
seb4
Private

Post by seb4 »

Ragnar wrote:Be more concerned about grease being thrown around the interior of the hull.
The nylon gear does not need lubricate, it's kind of self lubricating as stated in several RC forums in The Netherlands and also by manufacturers from nylon gear. Only small amount of graphite.

The opinions on this are divided though. Some people say lubricate your nylon gear, Since my alu tape protection does an outstanding job sealing off, the graphite nowhere is thrown around. maybe a small amount of grease can be applied as a trial.

If only the Taigen V3 with 380 motors were good. My copy is a dud. And all this fancy ball bearings on all axles. I should have send it back immediately, and will do so next time.

Maybe time to search for a real good gearbox set , with corresponding price. Any suggestions?
Last edited by seb4 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
seb4
Private

Post by seb4 »

jarndice wrote:With pot metal gears or plastic (Nylon) gears an application of any decent lubricant will ensure the good running of the gearboxes, regular cleaning with an application of "Isopropyl Alcohol"(Acrylic Thinners) will keep the gears clean and negates the need for tape or any other protection.
The Alu tape keeps away all dirt. The gearboxes are clean like new after 5 rides in kind of sand dunes and wet clay.

The problem is in the last nylon gearwheel, the one attached at the sprocket drive at the left side is already worn out.

I will replace it with the drive shaft with corresponding gearwheel from my Taigen steel gearbox, which is wobbling, and the gearwheels too stiff running at one each other. My copy is a bad one. So if that conversion will be a success remains to be seen.

Any tips for a real good gearbox?

Return to “General Questions”