re-attaching treads to Heng Long Tiger 1

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
schneiderc001
Recruit

re-attaching treads to Heng Long Tiger 1

Post by schneiderc001 »

Hi - Does anyone have any hacks to easily re-attach treads to the Tiger tank? I stretch and stretch to align the holes to put the pin in, but it is near impossible to tap down the pin without it separating again. Should I use string to tie the connections together before tapping pin down? Or any other hacks someone knows? I tried needle-nosed pliers but still too thick to hold the ends together.
Thanks,
- Chris
jarndice
Colonel

Re: re-attaching treads to Heng Long Tiger 1

Post by jarndice »

If you are unwilling to go to the "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" section of the Forum to let us know about you,
I am not particularly willing to tell you the answer to your Tank problem.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Several ways to do it:
- Compress suspension and the track will go slack
- Remove an end road wheel, join track and then refit wheel (same applies to drive or idler wheel)
- use a pair of bull nosed pliers to pull the ends of the track together - end of pliers in drive holes of track (possibly easiest way but only on metal tracks)

A third hand is a ways useful.

Now tell us all about yourself!!

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

Are these plastic or metal tracks?
I suggest removing either the idler or the sprocket.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

"I do not know if Heng Long have changed the layout of their running gear on the later Tiger 1 Hulls but the previous Heng Long Tiger 1s came with Track Tensioners built in as standard," Quote.

That is why I wrote the above knowing how often Heng Long do change the specification of their products. It was an early purchase indeed I bought it before I even knew of the existence of this fount of knowledge.
I do know that on this or another Forum people would complain that the Heng Long Tiger 1 Track Tensioners were ineffective which considering what total *rap the quality of Heng Longs products were at that time was not a surprise,
Thankfully they make a very good value for money product today and I would not hesitate to recommend them as a first Tank to someone joining this hobby.
Last edited by jarndice on Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

Did they indeed? I thought Henglong never had track tensioners which is their greatest problem.

Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Your comment made me doubt myself :lolno: So I trawled through all the paperwork that I have from all the RTRs I have bought and lo and behold the Heng Long Tiger 1 coloured double sided pamphlet shows a picture of the base of the hull with red arrows pointing out the two tensioners and how to use them.
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

I need to see this. Is it Tiger?

Started as a tank man.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If my feelings were easily hurt I would be angered at my truthfulness being questioned most especially over the existence of a document that has probably been printed in the tens of thousands to the extent that you want me to provide physical evidence of it.
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

I need to see it because I want to see how the tensioner is made, not that I had any doubt about your integrity. My interest is purely technical.

Started as a tank man.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural

Return to “General Questions”