Torro M16 Halftrack Trailer

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
SpikyTheCommander
Private

Torro M16 Halftrack Trailer

Post by SpikyTheCommander »

I have been in the hobby for around a year and a half now, and have just joined this forum. In terms of my collection, I first started with a completely unrealistic panther which I recently converted into a Pantherturm. Then I did a stug III which I just gave a quick spray with winter camo.

However, for my next project i would like to try something like an M16 Halftrack. While doing my research, i heard that it is difficult to fit a new speaker into the halftrack, and also heard that it might be a good idea to connect the speaker externally through a trailer or something. So does anybody know a place where i can find a 1/16 realistic model of a trailer that the US Army would have attached to the M16 during WW2?

Regards,

Spiky.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: Torro M16 Halftrack Trailer

Post by General Jumbo01 »

There are quite a few small speaker units around for us modelers, some with sound units too that produce good volume and appropriate diesel sounds. You'd be amazed where you can find space when pushed!

I say this simply because the ear is very good at identifying where a sound is coming from and it simplifies matters allowing you to run without a trailer or different trailers. OO gauge model railways now use speakers in DCC locos and they are tiny yet sound fine!

Here's an example of a small system I've fitted to a number of my 6x6 trucks.Image

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
SpikyTheCommander
Private

Oh ok, maybe ill try one of those setups, as currently it is proving almost impossible to find a 1/16 trailer that would work!

If i do decide to go ahead with this project, do you have a place where i can buy such a speaker?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

You do not need to conform to the conventional view of speakers.
If you goto http://www.forgebeartanks.com he is selling Mato Rectangular Speakers for £11.99 a pair.
If you invert your Half Track you will see that the two fuel tanks in the load area are hollow and the Mato speakers fit very nicely, You will need an "ELMOD" MFU which is a direct swap for the original board and is specific to the WSN/TORRO Half Track to run the speakers but the Elmod board is a worthy addition to the vehicle with a brilliant programmable sound card.
You will need to pin vise holes in the fuel tanks to let the speakers be heard but as long as the holes are small and properly painted over no one will notice.
The WSN/TORRO Half Track is a great base that is very easy and very satisfying to modify up to a really high standard,
There is a series of Video's on "U"Tube (TORRO/M16 Half Track)that holds your hand through the necessary work.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Elmod will be way better than the stock 'whatever the hell that was' electronics, but it will cost you as much as the halftrack itself.

Here is a video of some random numpty driving his El-Mod equiped M16 thru his (former) living room, using a panel speaker rather than something akin to Jimbo's suggestion - sounds a bit tinny but then it didn't cost a whole lot either :S
(and yes, I did fix the missing 4th machine gun LED after this video was recorded...)

phpBB [video]

I'd love to be able to help you out with a 3D printed trailer (Probably the M10 pattern?), but I'm already buried in CAD work :crazy:
If you are able to pick up and use Autodesk Fusion 360, I'm sure one of us can give you some pointers 8)
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Would this do??
Pm me if you’re interestedImage
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SpikyTheCommander
Private

The Elmod will be a must, no doubt about that, but currently i can not decide between having a trailer or not. Im personally not that skilled in making room for extra electronics, and would much rather add or swap components, such as adding a trailer, than making room for components.

Wayne, do you know if the trailer was actually attached to the M16 or not? If so, it might be my best option if i was to use a trailer.
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

You'll need to accommodate the new board and cable it to the trailer. Maybe you should, first of all, strip the truck completely down and rebuild it just so you are fully familiar with the parts, their functions what could be moved and/or modified. Fitting an extra component can sometimes be tricky but adding to a remote chassis can be harder! I'd also be careful about your choice of trailer - the further the trailer axle is from the tow hook the easier it is to reverse. Backing a half track with a short trailer could be.....interesting?
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

the El-Mod board is a direct drop in replacement, so no modifications needed :thumbup:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

This would be a good trailer to suit your halftrack Spiky, ( if you can find one ) and usually when they do come up for sale on auction sites they are a silly price. Maybe you could get somebody to make the basic trailer for you and move the quad guns from your halftrack into it freeing up more space for electronics :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:

Return to “General Questions”