Bent Driveshaft

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Jimster
Lieutenant

Bent Driveshaft

Post by Jimster »

I don’t know how, when or why but I’ve bent my driver’s side driveshaft on my Taigen V2 steel gears/ball bearings 4:1 ratio gearbox with the 390motor. I recently noticed a wobble in the sprocket and when I removed the sprocket and ran the gearbox I definitely saw the bent shaft in action. I can’t imagine I hit something hard enough to bend it without realizing it. It still runs just fine but that wobble drives me nuts.
Shouldn’t I be able to remove the bent shaft, lay it on top of a vice and hammer it straight? I’m just not sure how advisable it is to attempt removing the shaft with the ball bearings. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Bent Driveshaft

Post by jarndice »

I am pretty sure replacement shafts are available. Check out the dealer web-sites.
I would not be too bothered about "Ball Bearings" as in my experience the "Bearings" that are in our gearboxes are actually "Bushes".
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

As a matter of fact I did drive it in some nasty creek gravel a few days ago and it did throw a track on that side from a major rock jam. Forgot about that. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Good advice, Jarndice. I’ve just sent an email to Erick at IMEX which is where I bought them.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

When you come to replacing the shaft I suggest you place the gearbox on a Hotplate on its lowest setting for about a half hour so that the metal in the gearbox expands while the previous evening you place the replacement shaft in the icebox, then in the morning after you have warmed the gearbox the frozen shaft should slide into place quite easily.
A quick spray of silicone lube at the same time would do no harm.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

While these gearboxes give the appearance of sturdiness, the metals used in them are clearly not of premium quality. I dropped a Taigen Premium box on the living room carpet (it slipped from my hand), for example, and the side of the frame (thickest part of the unit containing the 'bearings') actually bent quite badly. :| Quite how your tank motor could supply enough torque to bend your output shaft, I can't imagine. Nor an encounter with some rough terrain. Those things just shouldn't bend. 8O
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thanks! I never would’ve thought of that.
I guess I drive my Tiger too hard. Perhaps I need to practice a little more finesse in my driving technique instead of balls to the wall charging ahead and powering through obstacles. I never thought I would bend a driveshaft. :{
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I guess you get what you pay for. Even the premium tank components are a fraction of the price of club racing 1/10 saloon car parts (titanium/carbon fibre/aircraft grade aluminium) but then the relatively low costs do allow us to collect tanks in numbers!

It does frustrate me though when cheap, inferior materials and designs are used inappropriately. I'll trying to sort such an example now. If someone produced a pair of motorised gearboxes using top quality components and charged a reasonable £200 (and that would be reasonable), how many of us would buy them?

Cheap, soft metal shafts do bend!

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Definitely a lesson learned.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Jimster I meant to ask you before,
Do you have "Gearbox Output Shaft Bearings" fitted ?
They may or may not have stopped your recent problem BUT it would ensure the output shafts run true as they are supported throughout thereby removing any out of balance effect.
They are an easy fit and not mind numbingly expensive.
Every Tank I have built I always fit these items as a matter of course.
The "Tips & Tricks" Section of the Forum offers help when/if you decide to fit them.

Return to “General Questions”