T55 - Hooben. ABS glue?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

T55 - Hooben. ABS glue?

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi there, I am building a T55, and I cant glue the parts together. I am using tamiya glue for ABS and it does not seem to work. Any idea why? What can I use?
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: T55 - Hooben. ABS glue?

Post by General Jumbo01 »

You need a ABS solvent based glue. Try asking you local car body repair shop as they must use it for car plastic (all ABS).

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

I used a mixture of CA and revell on my t55.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

What I dont get is why the tamiya ABS glue does not work! Jumbo, do you have a link of what you would use? Finding things here in Austria is always complicated!
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

If you are in Austria try a local car body shop.and ask them for a link! I don't know what makes there are but they will.

CA would do the job but its very brittle.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Hi there, I am building a T55, and I cant glue the parts together. I am using tamiya glue for ABS and it does not seem to work. Any idea why? What can I use?
Getting the right adhesive for the job can be a really frustrating part of model building, Rad. :problem: Bonding disparate materials (Metal to ABS/Metal to Styrene/Resin to Abs etc..) will throw up any number of annoyances. When that firmly bonded part drops off, when the tank's in motion..you begin to wonder what will keep that damned wayward component attached. >:<
That said, I've not had a problem using Tamiya ABS cement on those parts (mostly wheel suspension bits) designated 'ABS' in a Tamiya manual. Are you sure that the parts you are using are actually ABS?
The trick with the Tamiya ABS cement seems to be to allow the bits to be bonded to soften for a few seconds, before you apply as much pressure as you can (safely) when pressing the parts together.
That's always worked for me so far. :thumbup:
E.M.A. 'Plastic Weld' works on styrene and ABS but, like Tamiya ABS cement, it really does eat into the surface of the plastic. For this reason, you have to wipe up any spills immediately, and not apply it excessively.
https://www.emodels.co.uk/ema-57ml-plas ... -ppc2.html I have used this when other types of cement fail to get the bond I need. A whiff of this stuff can really make your head spin, so use it in a well-ventilated space. :crazy: Out of doors is a good place. :D
EMA Plastic Weld
EMA Plastic Weld
Plastic Weld.jpg (35.35 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I see that Hooben use a mix of FRP (Fibre Reinforced Plastic) and ABS in some of their models. I wonder whether this might be the case with the T55? :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi everybody and thanks for your tips.

When I got the Panzer IV I got some of that Tamiya ABS glue, and worked well with the wheels, I have tested the glue with heng long parts and it welds them together too... Not the strongest bond, but hey, it lasts.

But with this Hooben tank, the Tamiya ABS glue seems to not to work at all. It does not melt the parts together and seems to do almost nothing to the plastic, no matter how much glue I put on the parts. I am 98% sure this tank is pure ABS, and that FRP is used in other tanks like the Tiger P.

I will try to get pure acetone tomorrow, and if it does not work, I will start sourcing ABS glues locally and then on internet. Something has to work!

Return to “General Questions”