Ni-Mh/Ni-Cd Versus Li-Po.

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

Ni-Mh/Ni-Cd Versus Li-Po.

Post by jarndice »

I am using a Nimh Battery to power my Taigen V2 MFU in a Tiger 1 as that is what Taigen recommends,
I would like to use a Li-Po Battery to power a V2 in one of the pair of Panzer 4s that are close to completion and I would like to power an ASP2 in the other one also with a Li-Po simply because there is not enough space in a Panzer 4 for a Ni-Mh battery.Has anyone any thoughts about that because burning out an ASP2 and a Taigen V2 is not what I call a wise investment :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Ni-Mh/Ni-Cd Versus Li-Po.

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

I have been using 2S lipos in ASP 2 and in heng longs for years. ASP2 handles also 3S lipos. What a great loss for the hobby, this board will not longer be produced.... I love the 220+ sounds I play, lol.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
ToXic U4ia
Recruit

Post by ToXic U4ia »

I have a V2 & 2 V3 Taigen MFU's. I use this 2s lipo.
It even fits in my Panzer 3.

Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello,
Any type of battery suits, to the extent that the voltage is the same,the only problem with the platinum powered,is not équiped for " cut off 5 volts and a few "
The capacity in Mha,does not play,whatever the type of battery used :D
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

That is very helpful,
Thank you all,
I am not too bothered about low power causing damage to my MFU as there are all manner of low power warning systems available that I can wire into the circuit but thanks for the warning. :thumbup:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Just do a bit more research Mr Jarndice, I read somewhere that Taigen systems do not ‘like’ running with odd power sources.
I have had 2 Taigen tanks , both not mine, to muck around with and the tanks owner runs lipos in his fleet of Tamiya tanks. Running them in his Taigen caused erratic function and control.
Using good quality 7.2 V nicads allowed perfect operation .
Might be a question to put to IMEX just o make sure.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Herman, I have been using Ni-Mhs to power my CLARK TK22, An IBU2Pro,a Taigen V2, an ASP2, and a variety of earlier Taigen Boards as well as the old faithful RX18 in Tiger 1s and similar sized Hulls and that's fine but with smaller hulled Panzer 4s space is at a premium,
Even when using the Taigen Trans-ceiver with the V2 instead of hitching it up to a Turnigy Transmitter/Receiver, with the sound module, a speaker and a Tarr smoker the Ni-Mh takes up too much space in a Panzer4 hull.
Hence the question,
As I mentioned and as you noted Taigen do not recommend Li-Pos with the V2 but I wanted people with hands on experience using Li-Pos to warn me or reassure me about the safety of running Li-Pos,
And then you came by with your bucket of cold water :lolno: Are you mellowing in your old age ? :haha:
I am reluctant to ask any Taigen dealer because they could get into trouble saying Li-Pos are okay when company policy says otherwise.
And so I have thrown myself upon the mercy of the Forum,
Yeah I know I will be sorry. :{
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Anyway, how is it possible your PIV is so cramped? I am using huge 5.000 nimh batteries, humongous tamiya speaker, smoke machine, elmod board, 10ch receiver and bluetooth receiver and everything fits! Not a lot of extra room though, lol.

After a couple of bad experiences I stopped using lipos for good.
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello :D
I do not question the expérience of all,but i do not understand what can hoppen,regardless of the type of the battery from the voltage,is the same how electronics Taigen detects type of accus and refuse to work ? The only defect of the lipos is that is should not go below a certain voltage under risk of making HS the battery,some turntables are equiped with an alarm automatic shutdown system ( elmod.etc ) no wadays some transmitter are equped with ( removable )batteries for dry cells ,replaçable by a Lipo ( Taranis X7/9 )it is true that this type of battery is very spécifique level charge :angel:
Good Day :thumbup:
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Jofaur86 wrote:Hello :D
I do not question the expérience of all,but i do not understand what can hoppen,regardless of the type of the battery from the voltage,is the same how electronics Taigen detects type of accus and refuse to work ? The only defect of the lipos is that is should not go below a certain voltage under risk of making HS the battery,some turntables are equiped with an alarm automatic shutdown system ( elmod.etc ) no wadays some transmitter are equped with ( removable )batteries for dry cells ,replaçable by a Lipo ( Taranis X7/9 )it is true that this type of battery is very spécifique level charge :angel:
Good Day :thumbup:
You are right and most of people does not seem to understand it.
If a electronic is made to work with a 6cell nimhs, it always works with a 2cell lipos, and there is nothing in the lipos that can damage the tank electronics per se.
A fully charged lipo has 8.4volts, meanwhile a fully charged nimh has about 9 volts. So I think it says all...

Another thing, of course, it is true the lipos needs maintenance (storage charge, never over discharge and so on) and that is what made me to abandon Lipos and to use Nimhs and protected 18650 li ion batteries

Return to “General Questions”