Sherman Turret Machine Guns

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Sherman Turret Machine Guns

Post by silversurfer1947 »

A few year ago I bought a Sherman from EddyK - this one viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19170&p=172952&hil ... an#p172952

Since then, it has suffered some battle damage. The top of the turret now looks like this
IMG_20190618_135351_resized_20190618_020230547 (1).jpg
The 3 dots roughly in the centre are the base of where the 50 cal sat on a sort of tripod. Unfortunately, this disappeared somewhere along with the Tamiya 50 cal that I had fitted. At the same time, the retaing brack at the fron of the turret snapped off. I don't think there is a convenient source of the Tamiya M2 any more and I can't find any photos of the correct mount. There is what looks like a bracket sticking out at the rear of the turret (on the lft of the photo) which look a though it might be an alternative mounting point. I shall be grateful for any information anyone may have about where and how an M2 may have been fitted. Also, were they also fitted with an external Browning 30 cal?
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Sherman Turret Machine Guns

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
This Sherman turret photo set is from one of my own. It is not a Tamiya but it will show you what is missing from your M4. ( Click to enlarge )
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Turret top rear view.jpg
Turret top closeup.jpg
Turret closeup.JPG
...Here for the Dawn...
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Thanks for the photos, Painless. The aerial I can do without any problem. Looks like I am missing a searchlight(?) from the front as well. Now to try and source replacements!
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

SS,
This is a Heng Long turret and the searchlight is part of their parts tree which Forgebear can probably round up for you for a few dollars ( or pounds ) The rest of that detail set is from Schumo and Axels in Germany might be able to assist.
regards and have fun with the search.
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Thank again. I will have a look around as suggested
Richard
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Thank to Painless, I have found a lot of the bits I need. I would still like to hear about the 30 cal and how and where it might be mounted, and about that mount at the rear of the turret.
Richard
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

SS,
You are very welcome. Here is a little more info if you want it. Go look at pics of the tank, 'Fury', either at Bovington or the Movie. Whatever else people may carp at, the vehicles used in that film are genuine up to and including how some Sherman Commanders would add the 30 cal on a temp welded mount at the front of their cupolas. Your Sherman has a different turret from the larger, late war version of the 'Easy Eight' and adding a 30 cal to it might be tight with that big 50 cal already mounted there at the rear. The mount at the rear of the turret is for the 50 cal. I don't have any pics of it but the barrel and the body of the MG go into that mount. Should be tons of ref pictures of how it was stowed on the WWW.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

I will do that. Once I have all the bits fitted, I will have a look and see what I can do. So far as I am aware, my Sherman is not modelled on any specific tank, so it is mine to do with as I please.
Richard
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

SS,
Very good, Doc! Of course it is your tank to model as you see fit. Was there anyone saying that it wasn't?
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Absoutely not. Just getting my defence in first, in case anyone suggests it would be wrong!
Richard

Return to “General Questions”