Polyester resin for hull integrity?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Mic
Private

Re: Polyester resin for hull integrity?

Post by Mic »

jimbo_wa wrote:Paint!?

I don't get far enough along to ever paint anything! ;)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Unpainted models with a lot of etch can look glorious, so as soon as I'm finished building I go straight to a primer. A dull monotone model HAS to be painted!
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Nice day and it's done, 200ml of clear art Epoxy mixed with green dye crystals (don't bother, get the proper liquid if you want a colour) and some gold glitter!

Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Pimp my tank :haha: :haha: can't wait to see the chrome spinning rims ;) good job :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Mic
Private

Post by Mic »

I saw the picture thinking, is that gold glitter? Then I read your post. What made you do that? Haha
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Mic wrote:I saw the picture thinking, is that gold glitter? Then I read your post. What made you do that? Haha
Too many YouTube videos of people doing amazing things with resin...

And the bottom of the hull looked crappy, so glitter covered it up and added a bit of pizzazz!

43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

8O :D
Morning, Jimbo!. Well, you are a refreshing bundle of surprises and ingenuity. :thumbup:
I'm guessing it would be possible to take impressions of minor parts (using clay, or blu-tack), and duplicate them by pouring the resin in...
with, or without the glitter. :)
A bigger mould, say-(for speculation's sake)- of the Turret- would provide you with a transparent (albeit glitter infused) example. Taking it further- with suitable sealing and a power supply, you could have the first tank in the World with a Lava Lamp turret!. :D ..or goldfish bowl.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Ta Roy - like to keep you all on your toes! ;D

Yep, this stuff takes around 6-10 hours to set, but it's hard as nails once done.

One issue may be that as the two parts have to mixed thoroughly, it has many small air bubbles in it that needs a going over with a blowtorch to make them expand and pop out of the resin - so blu-tack is probably not a good idea!

I like the idea of the bigger mold and look forward to your take on true 'see through' camouflage! :haha:

Return to “General Questions”