Sherman tracks

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Afrikakorps
Corporal

Sherman tracks

Post by Afrikakorps »

Hi Guys, does anybody know if Taigen Sherman tracks with duckbills will fit metal Heng long sprockets and idlers ?
I am thinking of changing the look of my Heng long M4 105mm to a M4 76mm by just changing the turret and the tracks.
Cheers AK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Panzer III G
Sherman M4A3 (105)
T-34/76 (1942)
Panzer IV Wirbelwind
Sturmtiger
KV-2
M26 Pershing
T-34/76 (1943)
KV-1
M3 Lee
Ferdinand / Elephant
M16 Half-track
Panther G
M4a1 (75mm)
M41 Walker Bulldog
JS-2
M4a3e8 (76mm)
Japanese Type94
FT-17
Tiger 1
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Sherman tracks

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Fortunately I'm in a position to answer this, but, unfortunately not till tomorrow.

One thing, I don't think the Taigen duck bill tracks are readily available on their own. But the Mato ones with duck bills for Heng Long that Dave and Julie at forgebear sell are, and in two track patterns. They won't fit on Heng Long sprockets, but the sprockets and idlers come with the tracks in a set.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I'm back.

Right, I only have standard heng long plastic sprockets, and they are the same size as the standard metal ones, we know this because the plastic tracks work with the metal sprockets.

I compared my plastic ones to the Taigen sprockets and they look identical for diameter, number of teeth, tooth profile and sprocket width. Then I offered them up to the Taigen track, but they didn't quite fit as well. I then realised the heng long plastic sprockets have slightly thicker material for the toothed ring. The taigen sprockets however work perfectly with the heng long plastic tracks.

One word of warning. I purchased two new Sherman's that came with blackened metal tracks, T74's and T49's, but these were not standard sized tracks and sprockets, they are Mato sized. From what I understand, they are Mato, but made to fit the heng long, and these sprockets will not work with standard heng long or taigen tracks.

And lastly, if the heng long metal sprockets are the same thickness as the plastic on the tooth ring, they should be easy to file slightly thinner to fit.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Afrikakorps
Corporal

Post by Afrikakorps »

Thank you Son of a gun-ner for your detailed reply. I really appreciate it. :thumbup:

I have now started on my M4 Sherman conversion. First step will be the turret which I have just ordered from rctanks.de.
The second stage will be the tracks. (Funds don't allow for both at the same time).

I like the T74 style tracks and the taigen duckbill tracks and will heed your advice and check the size of the sprocket and thickness carefully before I proceed with these options.

I'll post some pics as I work my way through this project.
Cheers
AK
Panzer III G
Sherman M4A3 (105)
T-34/76 (1942)
Panzer IV Wirbelwind
Sturmtiger
KV-2
M26 Pershing
T-34/76 (1943)
KV-1
M3 Lee
Ferdinand / Elephant
M16 Half-track
Panther G
M4a1 (75mm)
M41 Walker Bulldog
JS-2
M4a3e8 (76mm)
Japanese Type94
FT-17
Tiger 1
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

You're welcome :thumbup:

Well, if you do have problems getting the Taigen duck bill T74 tracks, those Mato ones I mentioned above, also come with duck bills :thumbup:

Return to “General Questions”