Tamiya battle system emitter

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
percy1510
Corporal

Tamiya battle system emitter

Post by percy1510 »

Good morning
I am seeking your guidance yet again. I have a Tamiya Pershing and I got a used Tamiya battle system from eBay and installed it last night. I don’t think that the emitter bulb Is working. To test these bulbs on my ibu2 equipped tanks I fire the gun whilst viewing the ir bulb through my phone camera which shows the bulb lighting up purple when the gun is fired so I know they work. I tried this test last night with the Tamiya bulb and can’t see any light from the emitter. I only own one transmitter at the moment so can’t test fire it against another tank. So my questions are.
Should I see the bulb light up with my phone camera on the tamiya system?

If the bulb is dead and I need to replace it, do I need any specific type of I.r bulb. I see that such bulbs are readily available on sites such as Rc tank electronics but there seems to be different types

One last question. With the battle mushroom plugged in. Should it flash or something when the tank is turned on. At the moment it does nothing. However when I put the tank into the self test mode it does flash

Thanks for looking guys
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Tamiya battle system emitter

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Do you have a tx with multiple tank programming? If so, surely you could turn and leave on and running one of your other tanks, then select the Tammy and fire away at the first tank.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

I did try that. Problem is that my transmitter which is a flysky one won't let it me swap models while the first model is still turned on. Must be a safety feature. I will look to see if I can disable it somehow

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
Find a better way of life at Marillion.com
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Oh, that's a shame. I guess turning the tx off then back on to select another tank doesn't work either then.
I was only wondering if it could be done, sorry I'm no help otherwise.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

You can put the MFU into test mode, both switches to to outside I think?

Fire onto a white wall and it should register the hit.

Looking at the IR emitter through a phone camera shoulder also show a flash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

Cheers Jimbo.i did try test mode and everything works but nothing from the emitter. I will try the white wall test that you mention. I will also try plugging the emitter into my other tamiya model so that if it still doesn't work I will know it's the emitter and not the Tamiya mfu that is faulty. I messaged Ian at rc tank electronics earlier and he has the emitters on his site so should be an easy enough fix if it definitely is the emitter that is faulty

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

jimbo_wa wrote:You can put the MFU into test mode, both switches to to outside I think?

Fire onto a white wall and it should register the hit.

Looking at the IR emitter through a phone camera shoulder also show a flash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That won't work, there's a 1 second immunity on tamiya systems to stop you doing just that by accident
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Percy are you using an iPhone? The main camera doesn't pick up ir but the front camera does.

Ir bulbs are cheap and plentiful,

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/c/displ ... leds/?pn=1

It's a 940 or 950mn you need. I think ones better but I can't remember which.

If this is DOA from the seller if be asking for a partial refund too.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

percy, Tamiya has this built in function. If the IR receiver is NOT plugged in, the IR emitter will not work. If you think about it this make sense, so you can't have someone in the battle just not have an apple on and still be able to shoot everyone. You should make sure you have the TBU plug in when you do the IR emitter test with a camera.
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

Hi Michael
Great advice thank you. I did try the emitter in another model that had no battle system and got no light from the emitter but your explanation explains why.
Thank you
Glyn

Return to “General Questions”