1/16 Treadplate - Stug III

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

Re: 1/16 Treadplate - Stug III

Post by jarndice »

The problem with checking out details on any WW2 Armour is unless you have an undisputed history of it you have no idea whether it is totally original or it has been restored,
74 years after the end of the war the chances of finding a totally original vehicle has to be none.
Tiger 131 has been in British hands since 1943 and even that has been modified to the point that it has a Tiger 2 engine.
I am trusting "Abers" treadplate as I truly doubt that the museum tanks have not been restored.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

First one a tamiya kit. Second one in Bovington. Third, another tamiya kit. Fourth, a restored one.
Attachments
20190417_152137.jpg
20190417_151944.jpg
20190417_151944.jpg (105.03 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
20190417_151431.jpg
20190417_151431.jpg (35.91 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
20190417_151512.jpg
20190417_151512.jpg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Mic
Private

Post by Mic »

jarndice wrote:The problem with checking out details on any WW2 Armour is unless you have an undisputed history of it you have no idea whether it is totally original or it has been restored,
74 years after the end of the war the chances of finding a totally original vehicle has to be none.
Tiger 131 has been in British hands since 1943 and even that has been modified to the point that it has a Tiger 2 engine.
I am trusting "Abers" treadplate as I truly doubt that the museum tanks have not been restored.
But which Aber sheet are you trusting?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

ABER 16099 which is 1/16 scale treadplate in the original pattern.
Mic
Private

Post by Mic »

jarndice wrote:ABER 16099 which is 1/16 scale treadplate in the original pattern.
Ah, got it. If you look at historical photo's though, that pattern doesn't appear on a Stug III. At least not that I have found. Certainly on a Stug IV though.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Mic wrote:
jarndice wrote:ABER 16099 which is 1/16 scale treadplate in the original pattern.
Ah, got it. If you look at historical photo's though, that pattern doesn't appear on a Stug III. At least not that I have found. Certainly on a Stug IV though.
He's right Shaun, I've looked at tons of old black and white stug 3 pictures, and haven't seen a single 3 with that 16099 treadplate, and the Tamiya 3 kits have the pattern that Mic seeks moulded on them. And aren't Tamiya one of the best at getting things right most of the time :thumbup:

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I am willing to concede that the "Stug3" treadplate is different to all the other tanks in Germany's arsenal BUT German Engineers are some of the most Logical people in the world and the bean counters would have conniptions if those self same engineers decided to fit the Stug3 with a different pattern treadplate on a whim.
If the Stug 3 did have a different pattern treadplate to all the other Tanks in service with the German army.there has to have been a reason.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Eastern Front wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Eastern Front wrote:Here ya go, 1 is the Stug, the other Panzer IV

Cheers!
Trust you to throw a third pattern into the mix lol
:D :D :D
But it's wrong :P not even your beloved Goddess Tammy has that pattern on her tanks :D

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Eastern Front wrote:The photos I supplied here of the Stug and the Panzer IV were actually photograph at the Bundeswehr Tank Museum in Munster Germany, if you know of this museum it is actually the home of the German tank corps.

Cheers!
My money is on that they used whatever tread plate they could get their hands on when they restored them. Show me a period black and white with that pattern and I'll eat my turkey hat ;)

Mic
Private

Post by Mic »

Eastern Front wrote:Those Bastards! :haha:

Searching through my archives...I believe I do have this pattern on another model--somewhere..
I'd be interested to see if you do find any, purely to see if we can figure it out. It doesn't matter who's right or wrong, or even if someone thinks they're right and turn out to be wrong. I'm sure people are screaming that this is purely a rivet counting thread - I don't class myself as one, a Stug is a Stug and I'm sure as the war went on and as resources got more and more limited, the german war machine probably stuck any old thing on! Alas.. I noticed the tread pattern, was curious what it would be, and now I feel the need to find out for the good of everyone! :thumbup:

Return to “General Questions”