Total newbie, advice please

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Total newbie, advice please

Post by jarndice »

Mr Elephant PLEASE don't give up on the Panzer 4,
It is a bit like a De-Havilland Tiger Moth Bi-Plane, It was probably the finest ab-initio trainer that the RAF ever had in service,
You would get in, The aircraft Handler would swing the prop and off you would go, a hundred metres and you were airborne and it was a delight to fly, responsive but forgiving of the cack handed beginner and when it came to landing there would be a half dozen bounces and you had done the job,
Building a Panzer 4 is easy for a beginner and the end result will always give you a lift BUT as your skills in this hobby progress your PZ4s become something that you will be evermore proud of and like the Tiger moth with its now seamless landings you wonder why it took so long to get such a good job done.
The Panzer 4 is an eminently rewarding Tank to build.
The Tiger 1 that you disregard has a number of advantages over the PZ4 or indeed any other,
There are more Upgrades and parts for it and it has a lot of space inside that allows the beginner to work inside the hull without worrying about doing damage and that is why so many of us started with the Tiger 1.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Elephant
Recruit

Post by Elephant »

Thanks jarndice,

And please, call me elephant,no need for ceremony :-)

An unusual analogy which I think I get and I certainly see some merit in what you say.

I don't think I'll give up on the 4 but what has been posted has, I admit swayed my opinion negatively.

From where I am at the minute, no-one has given me a single reason not to go for rctanks panther.

Apart from the dreaded B word of course.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

Elephant wrote:Much food for thought here,as I'd hoped.

Sounds to me,as a noob, the panzer 4 is perhaps not the best choice for a beginner.

Which brings me back to the panther I think.

Mate, as a relative newbie myself I would say - buy what YOU want! You will get lots of opinions on one model being "better" than another because it's hisstorically more accurate etc. Think what YOU want tho do with your tank and buy accordingly. I think you'll find that you can swap from a BB/Airsoft unit to an IR unit at a later date without too much hassle .

Unfortunately, as you are looking at WWII German armour you are spoilt for choice! :haha: :haha:
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Yes, I totally agree with Mr Knight.

I still love my panzer 4, I cuddle and tuck it in every night. . . .
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Elephant if you decide to go for a Panther PLEASE I BEG YOU avoid the Pantiger,,
Too many shysters out there will try and con you into believing it is the real thing. :thumbdown:
When Heng Long a celebrated toymaker started a new line, R/C Toys they began with the Tiger 1, It sold like hot cakes and took Heng Long by surprise,
They knew that they had to follow up the success of the Tiger but while stamping out a body was not too challenging a new hull and running gear was out of the question so they planted an abortion they called a Panther on the Tiger 1 Hull and running Gear and et voila the Pantiger,
Avoid it like the plague.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

jarndice wrote:Elephant if you decide to go for a Panther PLEASE I BEG YOU avoid the Pantiger,,
Too many shysters out there will try and con you into believing it is the real thing. :thumbdown:
When Heng Long a celebrated toymaker started a new line, R/C Toys they began with the Tiger 1, It sold like hot cakes and took Heng Long by surprise,
They knew that they had to follow up the success of the Tiger but while stamping out a body was not too challenging a new hull and running gear was out of the question so they planted an abortion they called a Panther on the Tiger 1 Hull and running Gear and et voila the Pantiger,
Avoid it like the plague.
Pressumably because it is an inaccurate representation of a tank and not because it is a poor toy?
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
Elephant
Recruit

Post by Elephant »

Pantiger! Never heard of such a beast. Having said that, two years ago id never heard of a cockerpoo either.

Rest assured, I will be purchasing neither.

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

But, the pantiger does have two things going for it, a close Panther A turret, and engine deck parts. Which people want for converting the heng long panther G into an A.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I bought one of these on line and didn't spot the all too obvious short falls - that weird nose is never shown in the ads!

The pluses are that it runs well, as it should using the Tiger parts! The down sides are that its short and wide, the wheel arrangement is wrong, the nose profile is completely wrong, the turret is too wide and squat, the side and rear sects are wrong and distorted to fit the Tiger base etc etc etc. In fact, nothing is right.

But....it dose make an interesting 'what If'. A Tiger 1 with sloping armour?? An Auf ? ;)

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Elephant
Recruit

Post by Elephant »

As a slight departure. Would I be correct in assuming that rechargeable batteries are recommended for the controller?

If so do they take 4,6 or 8 AA's

Don't want to buy it and only have 20 minutes run time before my controller dies

Return to “General Questions”