Taigen battle system

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Taigen battle system

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I had the pleasure of trying out, for the first time, the battle system on my Taigen IS-2 up against a similarly equipped T34/85. Having not had a chance to try it before we both stood the tanks face to face to check everything was working okay, and it was. We then positioned the tanks a few yards apart and swung the turrets about 45 degrees away from the other tanks.

To our surprise, both tanks managed a hit! We then explored other possibilities and, to sum up, so long as one tank had a clear line of sight of the other, a hit could be scored. Even if the firing tank was pointing away from the target, up to around 90 degrees, a hit was scored.

Both tanks performed the same so we're not looking at a fault in one of them.

Can anyone who has experience of the Taigen system throw some light on what was going wrong? We were indoors and away from sunlight.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Taigen battle system

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I think the IR emitter has a very wide beam. For Tamiya type battle systems the emitter has to be mounted in a 6mm diameter plastic tube, 19mm long, I think. This narrows the beam and would stop what you are experiencing. Hopefully others with more knowledge than I can correct any errors.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

silversurfer1947 wrote:I think the IR emitter has a very wide beam. For Tamiya type battle systems the emitter has to be mounted in a 6mm diameter plastic tube, 19mm long, I think. This narrows the beam and would stop what you are experiencing. Hopefully others with more knowledge than I can correct any errors.
You're bob on there Richard, the taigen and HL LEDs aren't in tubes.

The regulation is 9mm from end of tube to led, overall length required can vary with led size and shape
General Jumbo01

Thanks so far, what you both say makes sense but, and here's the rub, l had always assumed the IR emitter was positioned in the gun barrel but all l can see is a large white LED /flash located at the end of the barrel (which more or less blocks the exit).

I'm also assuming that the receiver is the part that plugs in the turret which, because the socket pins are oriented different on each tank, simply detects a IR beam.from any direction.

So.
.where does the IR beam emit from?
STHV
Lance Corporal

Post by STHV »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Thanks so far, what you both say makes sense but, and here's the rub, l had always assumed the IR emitter was positioned in the gun barrel but all l can see is a large white LED /flash located at the end of the barrel (which more or less blocks the exit).

I'm also assuming that the receiver is the part that plugs in the turret which, because the socket pins are oriented different on each tank, simply detects a IR beam.from any direction.

So.
.where does the IR beam emit from?
I don't own an IS-2 myself but i would imagine it would either be in the hole for the gun sight or in place of the coaxial mg
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
General Jumbo01

That would certainly explain why it spreads so widely. I'll try covering the holes until it ceases to gets hits and then see how l can best fit a polished steel tube over the emitter.

Can l just check - it there definitively a rule that applies to the Taigen system regarding the diameter and length of the tube? I'd like to get it right.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
General Jumbo01

A quick Google revealed no specification for the Taigen system so if no one says different I'll adopt the Tamiya spec of 9mm recessed bulb and whatever the tube diam. rule is. Thank you all for your guidance - I'd far rather struggle to get a hit than it be too easy.

One more thought while on the subject. What a pity the IR receiver is not orientated. If it were you would have the potential to be able to differentiate between a frontal hit, rear hit etc. One day maybe?
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

El-Mod used to support that feature, but nobody every adopted it
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

If you are battling door, virtually anything can reflect the IR emitter signal. For example, I can actually use my sofa to reflect my remote control signal at a 90 degree. It is more likely reflecting rather than a wide beam.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

General Jumbo01 wrote:A quick Google revealed no specification for the Taigen system so if no one says different I'll adopt the Tamiya spec of 9mm recessed bulb and whatever the tube diam. rule is. Thank you all for your guidance - I'd far rather struggle to get a hit than it be too easy.

One more thought while on the subject. What a pity the IR receiver is not orientated. If it were you would have the potential to be able to differentiate between a frontal hit, rear hit etc. One day maybe?
IRC the emitter is in the mantlet or turret front on the is2

Return to “General Questions”